Fly Tying
Ribs1

Gartside Secret Stuff

Does anyone know what this stuff actually is? I've been tying some baitfish patterns using this stuff and I'm tired of paying the 8 bucks for a 1/4 package. Seems like something from the fabric industry, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks

www.linesend.com it is called awesome hair.

I met the creator of the stuff yesterday at the midwest tying expo, mike martinek, I meant to go back and talk to him when he wasnt so busy he was selling the stuff for 5.00 bucks per bag, or buy four get 2free.

I also met Mike Martinek at the Midwest expo. I am aware that Awesome hair is the same as gartside secret stuff. What I would like to know is what do they call this stuff in the fabric industry? Mike's price is actually worse than Gartside's price. He charged 5 dollars for an 1/8 ounce bag. 1/8 ounce is about enough to tie 4-5 flies. I'm looking to buy this stuff in larger quantities so I can actually tie a few dozen flies without spending 50 dollars.

Thanks

Don't know if this helps, but Gartside's website says it is 100% polyester drawn extremely fine. He also says he used to cut up and brush out old polyester "disco shirts" for a similar, but thicker material.

Maybe someone at a sewing or fabric shop would recognize it if you showed it to them.

I have seen two things in a sewing shop that looked exactly like it. One was a fusible fiber, the other some sort of thing that you push into the fabric with a machine.

john

Based on what John said, check this link. Are these fusible fibers, brand name Angelina Fibers, anything like the Gartside Secret Stuff?

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/notion...iblefibers.html

(As I'm sure you know, many--if not most--of the fly tying synthetics are produced for other purposes. For example, EZE Shape Sparkle Body is just Polymark brand fabric paint with sparkles, and can be found at craft stores for about $1 per bottle, instead of the $3.50 fly shops charge.)

Thanks Guys,

I think we might be on to something with the Angelina fibers. They do look the same as the gartside secret stuff and the Mike Martinek stuff. The only thing is, Gartside's material has 8" fibers and so does Martinek's. The Angelina fibers are 4" long. Maybe the order the same material and have it cut 8" instead of 4".

Any other ideas?

Thanks

That angelina stuff looks the same. It also says embellishment in the description, which is exactly the word I was trying to remember from the quilting shop/

john

I think the Awsome Hair is actually made from PVC, since it reacts a bit differently to certain solvents, than the Gartside stuff. I think it would do fine as a sub, however. I like tying with the Awsome Hair product.

Mark Delaney

Does anyone know if the Jack Gartside site is still working.  I keep getting a error code saying this site is not working properly.

His site is up,  but dont expect immediate response.  His webmaster runs the show.  I believe there is still product available but no idea of quantities.  I have two bags i bought from Jack years ago but I won’t part with them.   

1 hour ago, petelangevin said:

His site is up,  but dont expect immediate response.  His webmaster runs the show.  I believe there is still product available but no idea of quantities.  I have two bags i bought from Jack years ago but I won’t part with them.   

Not for me, - one or two pages work others are 404s and the contact is shown to be an insecure connection.