Fly Tying
sniksoh

minnow colors

ive been hooked on minnow type patterns for bass and have been wondering what colors are good for clear and muddy waters...like for clousers what two colors would you recomend for clear water? muddy water?

Just to add, yellow, pink or light blue over white, in clear. Also try brown or dark olive over orange in murky water. Dark blue over white or yellow as well.

If you have some squirrel tail give that a try, fish love it. Light over dark.

snik,

in the pond i fish. white works well. (see 1st official clous in begginer section)

i imagine this one will work well. historically, all types of white have worked well for me.

with any luck, ill be out on sunday (supposed to be in the 80's)

camoham

I've had luck with all of the above! I recommend tying up a few of each to have on hand. Also, there's a saying that I've heard a few times....

"IF IT AIN'T CHARTRUSE, IT AIN'T NO USE!!!"

I've caught LMB and Crappies in fairly dirty water here, maybe 1 foot visibility, on chartreuse over white. In fact, EVERYTHING seems to like chartreuse over white. Experiment with various colors though, you might find something that works well in your area that nobody has thought of yet.

From recent experience (the last 2 times I went out) - Chartreuse over white with gold flash in slightly stained water. The bass would not even look at the orange over white or the dark blue over white.

for my stained home waters, a brown and white clouser w/ olive chartruse flash in the middle works GREAT on bass and crappie!

I find I do well with pastel shades over white. Light Blue, Light Green, Light Purple, Bronze instead of Olive, chartreuese, and of course Fire Tiger.

Clear water: Grey, olive or red over white

Muddy water: Red or flourescent green over yellow or chart. I recently tied some with black over yellow and all black, but haven't tried them yet.

To help keep things simple, I typically use white or yellow/chart. bodies.

I like smething in the middle. I usually add some flash - pearl, gold, something to match the upper wing, or something to create a dark line in the middle.

Finally, an upper wing of red, flourescent green, to go with the yellow bodies, and chart., olive, grey, red or even black to go with the white.

Some times I will look at my more productive old stick baits for inspiration.

Muddy water: I recently tied some with black over yellow and all black, but haven't tried them yet.

I tried the black and yellow in muddy water, I thought it would be the ticket, it hadn't produced for me yet.

Muddy water: I recently tied some with black over yellow and all black, but haven't tried them yet.

I tried the black and yellow in muddy water, I thought it would be the ticket, it hadn't produced for me yet.

Thanks for the report. Too bad, though. Black over yellow sure looks pretty.

sniksoh, I noticed that I left out one of the most important color combinations in my box - yes, it's chartruse over white.