Fly Tying

My problems with Mustads in the past were two: first were the open eyes. I always closed the wire end with thread before going on to tie the fly; second, sometimes the barbs were huge, and the points ridiculously long. That was then. I now tie on a number of Mustad hooks, and like them. I especially like their C49S as a scud hook. I'm shifting my hook stock over to more of their line as I run low on the Japanese hooks.

Chuck

Beginner??!! I resemble that remark!

I love mustad hooks. I use tiemcos when I can get my hands on some extra money to buy their big hooks but I have broken quite a few tiemcos on rocks while fishing from the beach. Never broke a mustad!! I recently got my hands on some mustads that are about 40 years old. they are way differentfrom the new ones, sharper,and they are made of a different alloy not stainless steel but my buddy assured me and showed me a 30something year old fly he fished in salt,caught a big fish and saved the fly. It has never been out of the salt air(bay front garage that doesnt have a door) and .................no rust so I am trying them out, seem nice so far! but thats just my2$

Good hook and good variety. The only thing I can say is that I like to hone them a bit as I don't think they are as sharp but you should do that anyway.

T

I think some of the issues that have been going around involve a lack of knowledge on the part of the user. Most issues I have heard about pertained to saltwater or "big fish" anglers. I was one of those people ;)

I lost a large snook ~40"+ when a Mustad 34007 opened almost 30 degrees on 16# tippet. There was a similar discussion on another board which prompted one of the Mustad reps to clear things up. He indicated that the Mustad 34007 is a stainless steel hook which is softer than the 3407 cadmium-plated hook. So if you are fishing heavier line and tippet class stuff you should probably be using the 3407 plated hooks instead of 34007 stainless hooks. Or you could just go with their Signature Series stuff which is still cheaper than some of the similar Gamakatsu, Owner, or Tiemco hooks.

just my $0.02

John

Anybody debarbed mustad hooks ?I'm especialy looking at the 94840.. Got to tie a bunch of flies to use in some flyfishing contests, and we're only allowed to use barbles hooks.I've looked at several other brands, and the price of barbles hooks seems a bit exagerated.Can I deal with a 2pound fish (maximum) on such a hook?

I've used mustads C49S and absolutely love them, but with dry fly hooks I have little experiences with mustads..

From what I've seen, mustads tend to bend when you aply to much presure on them, while I had other brands that broke sudently(which I find more disturbing than bending).Got some daichii's and tmc that broke when I hit a rock with the fly, or when stuck in snags(never happened with mustad).

So far I love mustads, but I'm unsure about debarbing.. :dunno:

Mihai

Nothing wrong with mustad hooks been using them for yearsssssssss.the price is right and you can get 100 per box

Tight lines Mike

i debarb all of my mustad hooks including nymph and dries and have no problem with them at all

re debarbing: I have squished barbs on thousands of mustad hooks. once in a while I've had a BARB break off, not a point- just the barb, leaving a little ramp instead of a nice flat squished barb.

this has not happened to me since I started using wider smooth jawed pliers and steady, gentle pressure to squeeze the barbs down. Use the back of the pliers jaw, not the tips to squeeze the barb down, much better control that way.

I started tying with Teimco because I didn't like the barbs on Mustads, they were just too big. After buying a ton of TMC 100's over the years I made the switch to Mustad because they are alot cheaper and they have a "clasic" look about them. Now I don't feel guilty when I donate one to the trash.