Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Cased Caddis

My father often described fishing in the early spring for trout that were gorging themselves on cased insects shortly after the ice went out in the spring. I think this pattern would be effective in Northern ponds and lakes.

I have great luck with cased caddis in the spring. It starts to tail off about the time the March Browns start to hatch. I guess that's when the caddis 'hole up' and pupate and the trout stop seeing them on a regular basis. Nice tie!~

Thanks guys, glad you liked them. These were tied up last winter as a Christmas present to my Dad. They were intended for the spring ice-out conditions on some of his local (Adirondack) ponds.

I doubt that these particular flies will ever get wet... :( My Dad keeps every fly I give him as a keep-sake and stores them away so they will not get lost or damaged. It's nice that he thinks likes my flies, but they are meant to be fishing flies. If he looses them, I can always make more.

ray....those are sooo sweet....IMHO....the two chennilles with partridge in the middle really makes this fly perfect.....the color contrast between the brown and the dubbing on the case are excellent