Fly Tying
Eric Brown

Coming back to fly tying while deployed

Hello, I use to tie flies with my father when I was a lot younger. Its been over 15 years since I have touched anything related to tying flies but I am looking to get back into it. What I am looking for is any recomendations on inexpensive tools and materials that I could have shipped to Afghanistan. I am on a very small base and so I don't have access to any of the fly tying clubs that some times meet on larger bases. I am just looking to get started here and give myself something to do in my down time. Just looking for a few recomendations and some advice. Thanks

Eric

Eric...1st thing Thank You for your service.....

as far as tying your gonna need a vise ,bobin, threads, scissors hooks and feathers and dubbing materials

etc etc etc..send me your shipping address I have some extra stuff that will help you get started......

Forum guys/gals if any one wants to donate anything let me know via PM and maybe we can get this some stuff to start out..Mike :D

Eric

I would be honoured to contribute some material. What, specifically, could you use most?

Is there any good fly fishing where you?

Wow, Thank you both. I am not sure what I would most need, what ever you think a beginner could use would be great. As for fishing where I am, I don't know. There are some nice looking rivers but no oppurtunity to fish them sadly. We have one large river in our Sector but it is outside the wire and since the area isn't secure enough, I can't fish it. Magazines, John Gierach books, fly fishing books and now fly tying will be how I get my fix until I get back and, as my father put it, drown some flies.

Again thank you. Often times its gets over looked but it it through the generosity and support of people like all of you that we are really able to do this for 12 months or more. More often than not I am just as likey to receive packages or letters from complete strangers as I am from my wife and family. I am constantly amazed and touched by how much people care and go out of their way to show us support. So please, let me know if there is anything I or my team can do for you. Thank you once again.

Mike, I'll PM you with my address but if you think it would be better I can post it here too.

Eric J. Brown

CPT, AR

Afghan Company Advisor

send what I can...absoutely not a problem.............You and your buddies Stay safe out there.

Are you gonna try to start a little tying club there?

Mike :D

Sadly, There aren't enough people here to really start a club. I think I am the only fly fisher on the base. Once I get started I will I'll have to see if there is any interest from the guys but right now I'm on my own. I imagine there are some other guys on our main base (a couple hundred kilometers away) who fly fish so if you end up with a lot of stuff I'll contact them and see if they have any interest.

Sadly, There aren't enough people here to really start a club. I think I am the only fly fisher on the base.

well, that's because you haven't started the club yet. I started a monthly tying group back in April and the first one we had 4 of us show up, and 1 missed it that month. but, after that, the word got out, and i was getting interest all over. i now have 10 people on my invite list every month, and I have people from the forum coming in November since they'll be in the area for fishing!

If you build it.....they will tie!

THANKS for all your great service!

Eric,

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to tie (i.e. nymphs, dries, classic wets, streamers, bucktails, buggers...) ??

Can you get a copy of Hatches to him, Will?

Thank you for your service, Eric.

CD

Ladies and Gentleman this is what make this the BEST site ever...

A BIG Thank you to rockworm and streamtyer and my buddies here at home we will be providing this guy with enough materials to tie for a while he is deployed overseas. I am sure these will be put to a good use..I also am checking with him to see if it is ok to post his address here so if any one else here on the forum wants to send him anything they can directly.Once again THANK YOU you are the best

Mike :thumbup:

I am not sure what I plan on tying. I spend a majority of my time fishing for Bass around my house in Texas so I use Clousers and Wooly Buggers a lot. I also get a good bit of trout fishing in when I visit my Family in Colorado so I use a lot of dry flies and some nymphs. So... I guess I'll be tying some of each but probably a lot of Wooly Buggers since I fish them a lot and lose them.

Here is my address as well, just to save Mike a step.

Eric J. Brown

PRT Farah

Attn: ETT

APO AE 09354

Thanks again everyone for all of your support and generosity.

Tight Lines!!

Eric

OK. If someone could help the man out with some bugger material (long hackle, chenille), that would be great. Just so others can fill in the blanks -- I've got him covered on a kit for marabou black ghosts, some dry and nymph dubbing, some thread, sampling of wet, dry and streamer hooks, pheasant and turkey feathers, a Whiting variety pack, some dry fly hackle, EHC kit, beginner tying book, peacock herl....

Eric, first off thank you for your service. I have a grand son (Marine) that will be stationed in November in Afghanistan. Please stay in touch, let us know what you need and we will get it off ASAP. :yahoo:

I also managed to scrounge up some grizzly hackle, a little chenille and some marabou for Eric to tie some buggers. I'm a little light on beads and chenille, so if anyone can pitch in some black chenille and large beads (gold or copper) that would be great. Package going out tomorrow.

I have a Danvise if you need a vise. I am sure I can come up with some other stuff if someone would just post a list of needs. Have scissors of all types, bobbins, whip finishers, and lots of materials. I probably have everything needed, please just let me know.