Fly Tying
Graham

Fly Fishing with Friends

why sell, when you can give them away to me for free?!!!

Hey outka...BACK OFF! I asked first! :lol:

Graham,

I hate clickers too. Do you have any 7/8 wt Lamsons? What models are they? You can PM me if you like.

That is one beautiful brown!

Vito, how's this....I'll back off if you promise to come to NY next year and let me try it out and if you join me for Guys, Flies & Pies and some fishing! ;)

oh, and you have to spell my name right too! (i know you probably pronounce it wrong in your head, but i'll forgive you for that). Oh-at-kuh or Oh-ought-kuh as some of the locals call it. its a creek.

I can't promise but let's just say I plan on coming to NY next fall. Sage8wt and I were making plans back in March to join you guys this year. That is until my wife pointed out the fact that there would be a new family member joining us around that time. Oops! :o She was only a few months pregnant at the time. Guess it hadn't sunk in yet. :lol:

Well aftert his post Graham may need to reserve lodgings in the whole town :) Usually I have a hard time deciding to grab the camera gear or the rod. I think this would make that choice even tougher.

on one hand catch hawgs

on the other shoot hags

:)

Great shots Graham! Those are some fine fish...

On the subjects of the Hardys, did you hear that they are no longer being made in England. I currently have 5 Hardys, and was going to pick up a Cascapedia 7/8/9 for a Berkheimer I am getting, only to discover that they are now made in Korea. Needless to say I am disappointed, it's not that I don't believe that they will still be made well, but the fact that the Lightweights at my local fly shop no longer say 'House of Hardy' and 'Made in England' on them make me kind of mad. Now they just say 'Hardy', with no location on the side. My local guy says he's not going to carry them anymore, and now I am forced to EBay to find a real British one. Frustrating to say the least.

CAN'T BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO SIT AT MY DESK AT WORK AND LOOK AT THOSE GREAT PICS. BUT THEN THEY REMINDED ME WHY WE WORK.

SO WE CAN FISH!!!!

:lol:

I wore a Simms camera belt, with three extra waterproof bags attached. Heavy little bugger, I wore it full time the first four days, and left it on shore for the rest of the trip, knowing I'd out run anyone carrying it. I carried my camera, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 300 f/4, and 105 macro. I used all of the lenses, mostly just trying to keep my shots from all looking the same, especially the backgrounds. The 300 is nice for blurring out the background, 17-55 is nice for wider shots to include scenery. The 70-200 is nice for just about everything, but if I had to choose one single lens it would be the 17-55 because it allows for getting in close to the fish, close focus, etc... The larger permanently attached Simms belt-bag can hold my D200 with any of the lenses mentioned above attached.

This was taken with a 300mm lens

IPB Image

17-55 lens at 50mm

IPB Image

17-55

IPB Image

70-200 lens

IPB Image

300mm

IPB Image

awesome pictures! and yeah, if your plannin on gettin rid of any of those lamsons... you should let me know... i am in the market for a new 4/5wt, might be able to take one of those off your hands :D and a spare spool... I mean since you have so many... haha

Your 300mm shots turned out really nice as well! Nice work. Graham do you know what F-Stop you were using or is it varied on your 300?

Let me know when you get a chance.

Jay

Hey Jay,

I mostly shot the 300mm at f5.6, to keep the shutter speed fast. I did make adjustments based upon light as well as the distance in front of and behind the subject being photographed. I managed to have quite a few soft shots due to lack of light and shutter speeds slower than necessary.

This is the only shot made wide open at f/4, taken very late in the day, but it's one of my favorite shots, because it is so rare to see such a young angler on the big brownies.

IPB Image

One tool I need to buy is a seperate external battery pack for an SB-800 flash, allowing for continuous shooting without flash lag. I tried to keep my flash subtle, but I should have punched it up a bit more for some shots, such as the kid, Alexander, pictured above. I did quite a bit of experimentation, including using different polarizing filters, including a Moose warming polarizer. I also colored a diffuser with a gold sharpie marker and used this on my flash, to try and make the flash lighting more natural looking, especially early and late in the day. One thing I wanted to do before the trip was rig up a bracket to place a polarizing filter in front of my flash and allow for rotation. I wanted to practice at home, figure out where the filter needs to be turned depending if the light was from my left, right, or overhead, and pre-mark the filter, to allow for speedy adjustment of polarized flash. I have seen this done for fashion photography to brighten the subject while avoiding reflection and flash hot points on the subject.

I still have so many photos to adjust in photoshop. Instead of spending time last night playing with new photos, I began tweaking the ones already posted here. When I started this thread I just downsized jpeg's and saved for web. Eventually I hope to pick a few favorites good enough to print.

Here's Fishigan, shot at f5.6

IPB Image

I also took quite a few fish face and closeup shots, and even broke my own self imposed rule of always focusing on the fish eye, not the angler, such as this steelhead face...

IPB Image

Not being sure how my experimental shots would turn out, I did quite a few using a wider lens and smaller aperture, and keeping my focus point on the fish eye...

IPB Image

I forgot the thank Wickedcarpenter for being such a great photographer. I frequently turned my camera on to make adjustments due to constantly changing light, and knew that all I had to do was hand the camera to Brent, he knew how to position the focus point, and shoot. I have to say that Brent has a very steady hand because I had more soft shots than him... We both learned to figure out the best background possible before lifting fish out of the water for a photo. The light in the canyon was challenging, only a few hours a day out of the shade. We had hoped to fish several other streams, but, due to low water this year, we stayed where the fish were. Next year I hope to get some prettier background scenery in areas that get many more hours of open light.

Thank Brent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the pix of me holding fish, you rock. And I need to thank Redwings1 who also took some sweet photos, thanks guys, you really helped make my trip special and memorable.

Graham