Fly Tying
Sean Juan

Rattles in Flies

Anyone have any experience with adding rattles to flies?

I am using Rainy brand rattles I wrap them to the shank and coat the wraps with Soft body adhesive and they crumble...same thing happens with Hard as Nails...

Just using the thread secures them but not very well and they can spin...

Any advice?

I know it's not an ideal solution,but have you tried epoxy?? Just a thought...I always assumed that the rattles were made of glass,and therefore chemically inert...???

Sulphernut

I have lots of flys with rattles in them for salt water. I use Zap-a-gap on the rattle to hold it on after i tie to the hook. let it dry then put the fly on the hook.

I use the same zap a gap or simmilar. I also make bump's of thread in front and behind where the rattle will be attached. The bumps of thread help hold the rattle secure

I have tryed the loops and it wook as well to hold the rattles on. I have not had on come off twith Zap-a-gap so far and in salt water the is more thing to cut the fly up.

I've never used rattles, but what about tying in a piece of the braided line used to make loops at the end of your fly line. tie one end down, slide rattle inside, then tie the other side down? :dunno:

Oatka I could kiss you...

Oh wait that didn't sound right...

I mean I want to have sex with you!!!!

Sulfernut, thats what I figured - they say glass on the package at least.

How big of a bump are you guys making? I tried that only I used yarn because it took too long with the thread.

Oatka I could kiss you...

Oh wait that didn't sound right...

I mean I want to have sex with you!!!!

Dear Diary,

Today my dreams have come true. Sean Juan finally noticed me. The only problem is that he wants to treat me like his prison buddy. What should I do? Tomorrow I'm going to put on my best dress and see if he takes me out to dinner!

Sean - you are a slut! putting out before you've even taught me all you know about casting! how about you fly me down to the salt and show me what you know. by the way, you're not friends with Chris Hansen from Dateline, are you? i'm only 17!

Sean - well, it was just a lucky guess that my suggestion would work. glad it helped!

Crystalmidge - how did you get untied from the bed?

welcome to the forum honey!

Guys - we've been infiltrated!

I think I recently counted about 1 dozen various rattles in the last lure parts catalog I received, including a Brass one, might want to shop for a different type of rattle if your current one is causing issue with your tying style.

I've used rattles in my flies, but only on patterns such as zonkers that use a mylar braid body. I just slide that rattle into the braid before tying it closed. The Only down fall is that when fishing for Pike I tend to lose the ratles after the mylar gets chewed up!

Mike

As tie a lot of saltwater patterns, I've been using Larry McGlashan's Woodies Rattlers for years. These rattles are plastic with one end cut square while the other tapers to a point. As they are plastic,which “gives” a little, they are much easier to tie in very securely without the use of goops or glues.

In order to shorten the rattle for some flies, I often trim the pointed end. I’ve also trimmed the blunt end. The way these rattles taper allows for a much smoother transition.

I’ve spoken to Larry McGlashan about the sound made by plastic versus glass rattles, and he said that these plastic rattles have a lower sound that carries better under water than the higher pitched sound of a glass rattle. I don’t know, but I’ve been very pleased with his Woodies Rattlers.

Bowfin47

http://www.woodiesrattlers.com/html/versatile_rattles.html

I use glass rattles from barlows.com 14 dollars for 100. I use lots of thread and zapagap No problem. And Uh I paid for oh-ta-kuh this month SO BACK OFF!!! until DEC 1