Fly Tying
Sketch

Checking in from Alaska

Greetings all!

I'm checking in from Alaska. Anyone else here from the 'Last Frontier'?

I've been fishing for many years but have restarted my fly fishing efforts after a long break of almost 30 years. I used to fish the fly back in my teen years but put the rod down and put away my fly gear when I pursued my higher education goals and then life just sort of took me further from most fishing efforts. But last year, I almost exclusively used fly gear for all of my Alaskan angling efforts. And what a great year I had. I'm sure it can only get better.

I also am back at the vise. It didn't take long to realize that fly tying has really changed over the last 30 some years! I'm amazed at all the new materials and great tools at the tyers disposal.

We are close to open water here. The temps are warming and my fishing itch is getting worse as the days get longer. Looking foward to getting on the water soon for fish like this:

user posted image

I lost count of the many Kings I did battle with last year, but this was my first ... and biggest of the 2003. This year I hope to not only get in plenty of salmon fishing, but begin learning more about the rainbow fishing that Alaska has to offer. There are some big bows to be caught up here!

And as a side comment, has anyone here ever participated in a 50 state fly swap? The idea is to get one participant from as many different states as possible. Sounds like a great one to be a part of and I'd love to be the Alaskan representative. Anyway, it's just an idea.

- Sketch

We are close to open water here. The temps are warming and my fishing itch is getting worse as the days get longer. Looking foward to getting on the water soon for fish like this:

Does that mean you have 3 hours of daylight now? laugh.gif

Just kidding. Where abouts are you? Only been up there once, but hope to return soon. It sure is either very rugged/remote or a touristy like Soldatna and Seward. I often wondered what you guys do all Winter.

Welcome and make yourself comfortable

Thanks for the welcome Shoe.

I think we are up to 15 1/2 hours of daylight. We're gaining 5 plus minutes a day right now. The snow is melting fast and open water is just around the corner. The Kings start running in abput a month, but the smolt migrations begin with ice out and that means some great bow fishing.

I'm in Anchorage so am in the middle of it all. But 'remote' is only a short walk from your car, and that includes some amazing fishing!

Were you after fish when you were here?

Yup, we fished the Kenai for a few days, once just below Skilak Lake (sp) and once around Soldotna. Flew out to Crescent Lake for some grayling and to another Crescent Lake (headwaters) on the opposite side of the Inlet for Silvers. We took a trip to Seward for Silvers (Big water) and down to Ninilchik for some flounder. Fished a couple of smaller waters on foot. To say it was exhausting would be an understatement. Long days, short nights and tons of fish.

QUOTE (Sketch @ Apr 22 2004, 02:49 PM)
Thanks for the welcome Shoe.

Were you after fish when you were here?

That SOB is after fish everywhere he goes!! headbang.gif

Welcome Sketch!!

Welcome sketch jump right into the forums,i think there at least 2 other members that are from alaska if i'm not mistaken but i cant remember there names off hand.

SD

welcome sketch, always cool to hear of other's fishing exploits in terrain that is unfamiliar to ourselves. Especially when speaking of the Alaskan fishery. I screwed up when offered a guiding job up there last summer, but it is still my goal to head on up there sometime in the near future.

cheers,

steve

Grettings all from Italy,

A trip in Alaska is a dream that is spinning in my mind since a long time and seeing the king that Skecth holds ....

Somebody could be so kind to give me suggestion for planning a fishing trip in Alaska?

Thanks ans Ciao to all

vima

Welcome aboard Sketch and Vima!!

Vima, Alaska is a dream for a lot of us..........