Fly Tying
Brinx

Rotary Seized Up!

I think that the best part of this story is when I told them to send me the old jaws back and I wanted to photograph them and put them on several of the websites that I belong to to "show the guys" They freakin' ground them down and then attached a note saying that they were no longer warranteed because they were now "altered". That's total B.S.! Like I said, I bought the vise originally because I thought that I was buying the best, money was not an object, what I didn't want was piss poor customer appreaciation. I've grown to appreaciate good customer relations since that episode and see that sometimes it comes from the "little guy".

please do keep this thread updated.

FWIW, I have a Reed Tackle "master" vise that I've tied on for well over 20-some years. The jaws are a little sprung, but talk about simple and bombproof. Last year, because I decided I could afford it, I went with a Peak rotary. Also simple, bombproof, and with an alleged "lifetime" warranty. So far I love it.

A while ago, there was a thread about super-expensive fly rods. Vises can be parallel... $500 for a fly tying vise? That's what my son would call "the S-word, Dad!"

Let me explain peaks life time warranty.......Call Peak, Ask for Kurt, He is the owner/designer of the vice. Tell him about your problem, He will fix it. Peak is a stand up company. And yes after a nuclear war the cockroaches will be tying on peaks and HMH's :lol: !

Thank you all for your comments on the Renzetti vise – very interesting comments but not surprising. Customer service at a store is always excellent before one buys merchandise but in many (most) cases is not existent when the same merchandise is returned because of defects. It looks like Renzetti the manufacturer is no different.

About 6 years ago I decided to purchase a Renzetti Traveller. I did not need one but I wanted one. I had and still have 2 other good vise – a Thompson “A” and a Veniard – both are 39 years old. The Veniard is a crude form of a rotary vise.

My problem at the present time would be in knowing if there are any defects with my Renzetti that would be covered under the 1 year warranty period. In the 6 years since I bought my Renzetti, I have tied only 2 flies so far – I have not tied enough flies to find any defects that would be covered under a 1 year warranty.

Being a resident of Canada, I guess my Renzetti would be considered a “disposable” item. I guess I should have stayed with my Thompson A and kept the Veniard as a backup.

I dislike companies that mislead or play games with customers.

carp-starter

Call Renzetti. They'll fix it.

For those worried by longears' rants, don't be. While his story is a sad one, it is so dissimiliar from so many other's experiences, that one has to wonder what else happened.

I've dealt with Renzetti's warranty servies and never had a problem, nor a reason to complain.

I WANT A VICE WHERE I DONT EVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WARRANTY ISSUES. the simple fact that there seem to be a number of both good and bad stories about Renzetti warranty policies is enough to keep me away. Nuff said.

I don't think Renzetti vises break all that often. My Traveler has been flawless for a many years. I think about 15 but would have to find the receipt to be sure. Don't let a couple of forum horror stories scare you, a Traveler is a whole lotta vise for the money.. :D

Please keep us posted as to how the Rennzetti people treat you. I might break mine someday. :devil:

By the way, Brinx, did you find out the problem yet? I have not heard of this happening to a Traveler before, but since I own one I am interested in the outcome.

I agree with WhatFly, I have been tying on a Renzetti traveler for about 5 years and have not had any problems with the vise. In working in the fly fishing industry, I have dealt with the Renzetti company on a number of warranty issues. They have always been agreeable and eager to meet their obligations. I think part of the problem has been hinted at. Many people think that the lifetime in a "lifetime" warranty applies to their personal life span rather than the life span of the product. All things manufactured have a lifespan, some longer then others. There are few companies that actually have a warranty that will last your life time. Those that do will generally not have a replacement for your particular product after a certain amount of time (the lifetime of the product) but rather replace the entire product with a current comparable model.

Even the best companies have customers that have bad experiences with them. It is ashame but it happens. My advice is "Caveat emptor", research not only the product but the company. Find out what they mean by "lifetime warranty" and "product life cycle" (another kicked around term). Lastly, don't spend lots of money on anything you can not get your hands on first. Most good fly shops will have models out on display and even let you tie a few flies on them if you ask.

Two more cents to throw into the pot.

Be Well,

Olórin

Sorry if my post sounded like a 'rant". I do own 3 Renzetti Vises and paid good money for all of them. In my shop there are 11 Nor-vises that are used for Classes. There are Griffins that are used for people that want to "test drive them, there are several other brands. All I'm saying is that it seems as though the "smaller " companies stand firmer behind their products. Even though my Renzetti Master with all of the "bells and Whistles" is a dinosaur next to the newest model of the Nor-Vise. I still like it;just not the bullshit way the Company treats it's customers. To me Customer satisfaction should be thier #1 concern. When they have a defect they should take care of it,not find every which way to weasel out of their word. What's ever happen to honoring a persons word??? Whether it's written or spoken. This isn't a rant, just fact.

I know you're all very interested in updates.......

Just to let you all know, I have not done anything with this situation yet since I tried to fiddle around with it Sunday night. I have been so swamped at work that I really don't have time to write this response let alone call down to Florida. I will keep you posted but I have to admit that it's not my 100% top priority right now. Things are waaaaay hectic on the job and I really need to keep focussed on that right now. I will get to it, it just make take a few days. I will keep you posted as to what happens.

Thank you for all the input. Let me just say, I LOVE MY RENZETTI TRAVELER VISE and I like the Renzetti company very much. I was just curious if it ever happened to anyone else.

Thank you,

Brinx

A similar, but not as severe situation happened to me with my traveler. I called Renxetti and they walked me thru taking the vise apart, cleaning it and putting it back together. Itseems to work a lot better so far.

Oh yeah.... they never mentioned the warantee.

I have used Renzetti vices for about 15 years. My collection includes the Masters, Presentation 3000, Presentation 4000 and Traveler and Tube Fly Vise.

I purchased a used Presentation 3000 about 10 years ago and it had rusted jaws, called Renzetti and they replaced the jaws no charge. They are excellent with other custom options I requested for modified parts on my older vises (new replacement chassis with tension screw for older Traveler, this was done prior to the present production models which include the feature). Lilly Renzetti and the Customer Service staff have been outstanding to me. I am not a commercial tyer or famous "writer/personality" in the FF community.

Perhaps it is an issue with customer attitude when speaking with Renzetti?

Regards,

FK

please do keep this thread updated.

FWIW, I have a Reed Tackle "master" vise that I've tied on for well over 20-some years. The jaws are a little sprung, but talk about simple and bombproof. Last year, because I decided I could afford it, I went with a Peak rotary. Also simple, bombproof, and with an alleged "lifetime" warranty. So far I love it.

A while ago, there was a thread about super-expensive fly rods. Vises can be parallel... $500 for a fly tying vise? That's what my son would call "the S-word, Dad!"

Let me explain peaks life time warranty.......Call Peak, Ask for Kurt, He is the owner/designer of the vice. Tell him about your problem, He will fix it. Peak is a stand up company. And yes after a nuclear war the cockroaches will be tying on peaks and HMH's :lol: !

-misunderstanding- I'm happy to say I don't have any issues at all with my Peak, it has been working fine.

I disagree on some points in the thread- there ARE companies out there who warranty their products for EVER it seems. If a company is truly interested in customer satisfaction, they will stand hehind their products. Usually these companies are interested in seeing how their product has failed, or even been abused to the point of failure. Again, for cryin' out loud, it is a fly tying vise, not a fighter jet. It isn't that complicated.

Perhaps it is an issue with customer attitude when speaking with Renzetti?

Regards,

FK

While I cannot comment on Renzetti, I can comment on customer service in general and this could not be more true.

I've spent the last 8 years working in customer service with the last 5 being in management. There are two things that will dictate how far out of my way I will go to make someone happy if I have to deal with them (keep in mind that If they make it to me they have not been satisfied with my front line employee or that employee's supervisor)

1. If they begin speaking with me like I'm an idot, using inappropriate language, threatening me or my staff in any way (this does include saying you are calling your lawyer or contacting the media) or start telling me what I am going to do, I will not be very helpful. When I say inappropriate language, you are more than expected to say that a policy you don't agree with is f'ing stupid. If you say that I am, our conversation is over and you've crossed into the territory of my company no longer wanting your business. If that previously mentioned threat was directed at me, my family,my staff or their families not only do we no longer want your business, but you also get to take a walk between two security guards to a holding room until the police arrive.

2. If they have a reasonable expectation of how I can satisfy them that will not set a precedent potentially costing my company a significant amount of money, I will more than likely give you what you want. Please keep in mind that I am speaking reasonable from the companies stand point not the consumers. Oddly enough these two viewpoints take the same factors into account only on very rare instances. :hyst:

Ultimately, you are more likely to get what you want from a company by being polite, giving them a chance to do what they can/will and remembering that at some point they may have to say no so that they can remain in business. Just because they cannot give you what you want does not mean that they cannot do anything else for you. Large discounts on new products or other small items given for free are tools that I use to deal with customer service issues on a regular basis. Don't forget you can always speak with someone higher up if you really feel that you have been dealt with poorly. Eventually you may be able to get to the person with the proper amount of authority to give you what you want no questions asked. I have had a VP in my company tell us to take care of customers after managers two steps above me gave them the same answer I did.

Brinx, I hope everything works out well for you and I look forward to your update when it comes. Along the way please keep in mind that the person on the other end of the phone is just doing their job and take nothing they say personally.