Fly Tying
robow7

Question on Craw Claws

Simply a slight modification on Bob Clouser's excellent work but I was wondering if anyone had ideas on what material might make

(in their opinion) for a better pair of claws. Thanks

IPB Image

Myself, use fox tail but you can make them out of any thing you have. I just made a half dozen cray fish I used dubbing for the body can't wait to use them.

The pattern you have there is fantastic..

Tight lines.. :yahoo:

Ditto what stream suggested ..........I also use squirrel tail as in my recent post on a crayfish tying I posted with the dressing

Mike................................ B)

I love ring neck pheasant feathers! Perfect shape! killer movement in the water.

Day 5, which feathers are you talking about specifically, have a photo? Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Day 5, which feathers are you talking about specifically, have a photo? Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

All of them! Ringnecks have 6 or 7 different colored feathers that all have a natural claw shape.

post-2608-1202473181_thumb.jpg

post-11886-1202564274_thumb.jpgRob, an easyway to put realistic claws on that fly would be to tie in two pieces of 50 lb mono for each claw.wrap thread around one arm at a time till you reach the point where you want yhe pinchers to begin.at that point heat kink thepichers with a hot bodkin ,togive them a little curve and then with the thread buil up one pincher to make it bigger w/ thread.add 5 minute epoxy to arms and pinchers but dont let the epoxy cover all the mono by the fly so that the mono arms can bend.

Fred, that craw looks TOO real, most smallies I know would run from that thing. Excellent work!

Good Day,

I personally believe it boils down to what you want to acheive with your fly. All the materials listed above are great and do different things in the water. Marabou has tons of motion, calf tail is a bit more stiff, foam may make the area of the claws float a bit and so on. So I wopuld say think of what you want the fly to do - then choose your material.

Steelie

For my little ones I use two strand yarn. Tie it in at the mouth and use a bodkin to unfurl it and presto, two claws.

post-11886-1202564274_thumb.jpgRob, an easyway to put realistic claws on that fly would be to tie in two pieces of 50 lb mono for each claw.wrap thread around one arm at a time till you reach the point where you want yhe pinchers to begin.at that point heat kink thepichers with a hot bodkin ,togive them a little curve and then with the thread buil up one pincher to make it bigger w/ thread.add 5 minute epoxy to arms and pinchers but dont let the epoxy cover all the mono by the fly so that the mono arms can bend.

WOW! that is beautiful!