Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Grayson

Trout Flies

I'm fairly new to fly tying and need some help with trout flies. Could you guys show me some simple, easy to make, affective trout flies?

Thanks, Grayson

Welcome to the forum and the world of fly tying. This should be one of the easiest flies to tie and very productive. Go all the way through the thread because there is a step by step tutorial in there also.

here's the link

sow bug

duckydoty

Black Gnat, Wet

A simple yet effective soft-hackled wet fly or wingless wet. A good way to start yourself on the road to wrapping a body, ribbing and wrapping a hackle. Begin the fly like so:

IPB Image

Notice how the hackle is tied on the hook, and that the fibers on the lower part of the hackle are stripped off a little higher on the side that is down to the shank. The front of the hackle is facing the tyer. (Note this illustration and instructions are for right-handed tying. If you are left handed, just reverse everything.)

Then follow the tying directions in the link.

Give it a try,

Mark

How about a woolly bugger?. This is a streamer.

Hook- streamer hook 6-8-10

Tail-Marabou Black. Leave the tips on and wind them to the front of the hook. This way you will not have a bump back at the starting point when you tie in the chenille body.

Body- medium chenille black

Hackle- black saddle hackle

palmered foreword and tied off.

You might want to add some pearl flashabu on the tail for flash.

This is the basic pattern,it works on rivers lakes anywhere you fish. Toss this puppy out and twitch it back,give it movement thru the water. :yahoo: :yahoo:

A fly that I have been catching a lot of fish on, it is really easy, just a size 18 hook, a bead head and grey dubbing for a body. I caught about 15-20 trout last weekend on that fly. Sherri B

Go to your library and find David Hughes's book entitled Trout Flies. That should take care of everything.

Hi Grayson, If you're starting out I have two recommendation - firstly get good book. Loads out there...

'The Art of Fly Tying' by John Van Vliet is a good 'un for allround patterns.

Secondly, get out to a show if you can / meet with other tyers as you'll learn loads.

Start tying patterns with just two or three materials (simple hackled wets) and practise, practice, practice!

Post some of your creations and let us see.

Good luck,

Dave.