Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j. michael

'gill rods

i don't have a 'gill rod yet so i wonder what some good rods are. i fish smaller streams/creeks with lots of trees on the bank? :help:

I've got a 6' 3" 3 wt. that I like to use with them, which is usually sufficient. If I'm going to fish where there is not a lot of open water I'll go to a 5 wt. either 8' 6" or 9' because that's what I have.

I prefer the 3 wt. though. I call it my "Magic Wand" because it's so light and small in my hand but it makes fish from the pond magically appear on the bank. ;)

The reason i go with the 5 is because there are also some large bass. It is a 7'6"

Depending on the water I'm fishing, I use anything from a 6' 2WT to a 9' 4WT with a couple more 2 and 3WT's mixed in. :help:

Mike

i use a sage vsp 4 piece 6 wt for my pan fishing. never know when a big bass will hit a struggling bluegill and hook himself.

I picked up a 6'6" Cabelas LST last season. For a rod that costs under $200 it is a real sweetheart. I cast several other more expensive rods that I didn't feel were a bit better. This is my panfish and spring creek trout rod of choice now.

But as was mentioned above if I'm on open water in a float tube I often fish my 8'6" Scott for a 5 line.

i use 61/2 and 7 foot rods ,i fish for gills,and red ear(chinks down here in louisiana) the rated weight on most of these rods is 5/6 wt. but it is rare that i use a line weight under 6.

on most of these rods i use 9 WT/DT/F,we fish in timber for these fish, and roll casting is the only way you can get your fly where the fish are.

i do not use any rods that cost more than fifty bucks,i have replaced the tip section on many of these rods more than once.

a true 4 weight or five weight rod just does not have enough backbone to horse these fish out of the roots before they twist you up.

26 days tell spring,avg. water temp 56,still fishing deep.i will hit them this am in about two hrs. great site you all have here thanks for the opportunity to join.

gators bite