Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hikefar82

Striper Flies ???????

Gang,

A friend of mine ask me to tie some Striper flies for him. He will be fishing the Arkansas River in Tulsa, OK. The River is low enough to wade and he will be fishing below a low water dam and around rock jetties.

15-20 lb bass are not unusual, however most will be 5-10 lb. So far I have tied him Closer deep minnows and Half & Halfs.

What would you suggest? Also, Can anyone tell me if Saltwater baitfish patterns will work in freshwater, assuming that I change the colors to match local baitfish?

Thanks

Nate

mabie some top water, i don't know much about stripers.

I've fished for stripers only in salt water, but see no reason why various "saltwater" patterns tied in the size and color of local baitfish wouldn't work in sweet water. Among many others, Lefty's Deceivers should be fine.

Bill

Nate,

What you've tied will work fine. One addition I might make is this.

I've had good luck fishing for landlocked stripers with this shad pattern, especially if the fish are active & chasing bait. I pre-lead the hook shank before tying. The hook is a Mustad-Partridge CS45 Ad Swier pike hook size 4/0, which has plenty of gap. It is also barbless, with a nice deep spey like bend that holds fish well.post-3131-1206106742_thumb.jpg

Nate ,try this pattern with a 4/0 hook and tell your friend to send you some filets.

Nate ,try this pattern with a 4/0 hook and tell your friend to send you some filets.

post-11886-1206109305_thumb.jpg

Nate, mind sharing who your friend is?

What we like up there...

Clousers-Purple&White, Chart&white, Gray&white... My three main colors

Coyotes- same colors

Try something like a Cowens Baitfish...

I am from the Lower Illinois down here by Gore. Maybe you guys should come down sometime and we'll see what we can do!

Oh! P.S. If you can come to Smallmouth Rendezvous with us in Tahlequah. Theres a link to my clubs website that has directions and such! It would be great to meet you!

This is the pattern I suggest. It's a variation of Dave Whitlock's Sheep Shad, designed specifically for midwestern striper fishing.

IPB Image

Full video instructions and pattern details here

Joe C.

Zach,

Yes, I will be at the smallmouth rendezvous. I had a great time last year. A few friends of mine will be tying at the show this year. I will only be able to attend on Friday morning due to work.

I have been fishing the lower for a year now for trout, but I am just getting into striper fishing. I would love to come down and go after the new state record. My friend is taking me out to the Arkansas River as soon as the water level drops. How's the lower after all the rain?

PM me sometime, We shold wet a hook.

Thanks everyone for your input, I have a few new patterns to tie.

Nate

Nate: In addition to the fine shad patterns listed so far, here is The Smartt Minnow (or Dubbing Minnow) for your consideration.

IPB Image

Zach: Considering the high quality protein supplements regularly fed to stripers in the Lower Illinois River, I have to wonder if something like these might produce there:

IPB Image

Nate,

I get over there and fish every so often. There is a pretty large crowd from Springfield, Mo that heads that way. Have they turned the water back on after all the rain last week? I fished over there 2 days after they shut it off about a week and a half ago. No stripers were in there but the spoonies were thick. I fish below the power house by the soccer fields. Supposed to be a real good spot. Every one I know that fishes there throw 1/0 and 2/0 clousers in blue and white, grey and white, and chartuese and white. 17- 20 lbs is about as big as any one I know has caught there. I'm looking to head that way in another week or two.

duckydoty