Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
airedale

Whip Finish (help)

When ever I try a whip finish, the thread either breaks or the thread stops pulling through. I have a whip tool, but I can't get it to work. THe thread always slips off.

Thanks

Jim

I'm not sure what your doing but it sounds like your trying to hard. Just relax. Hold the bobbin lightly and let the thread move freely on the whip finish tool. Hope this helps Jim.

IPB Image

rotary whip finisher,is what you need,go to (youtube) put fly tying in the search some good examples there.

You should try going only 3-6 towards the eye of the hook and try to make your raps even right next to each other!!

Maby that will help you tyrite (Glen Dayton)

shooter those are some nice chinqs (red ears ) where in La. you from?

bayou chicot louisiana,next to chicot state park,i fish chicot lake three days a week,sometimes more.

i hate duck grass

shooter those are some nice chinqs (red ears ) where in La. you from?

fred i am sorry i did mean to make that post so short ,my dog was baying something under the poarch.

those fish where all males as you see by the date they where early fish,they where (what i call bumping the beds) caught them on spider and dragon nymph.

chicot has some big chinks,and some great gill fishing,i fish flyrods only and artificals,i tie my own.i see you live in lake chuck,have you fished chicot.

No haven't fished the Chicot yet. My friends an I fish Toledo bend quite a bit . Do you mostly catch chinks in April or year round?

Did you make it to GC conclave in L.C. last week?

Jim,

You didn't say which of the whip finishing tools that you have. Most of the instruction is for the Matarelli style whip finish tool. The Thompson tool is very different to use and I still struggle with it. The latest issue of Fly Tyer magazine has a great article on hand whip finishing and I encourage you to take a look at a copy. Everyone should know how to hand whip finish a fly. I tend to do it both ways depending on the situation. Take a look at the links to videos provided and then learn it both ways. If you have a Thompson tool, I suggest that you get the Matarelli style tool - it's a little easier to learn and a bit more forgiving.

TxEngr

I recommend loosing the tool and learn to do it with your fingers. Life will be easier down the road.

I also recommend fingering it instead of using a tool- If you can pick up a copy of the current "Fly Tyer" magazine there is a pretty good article with pics of how to do it. I figured it out as a kid, and do it without even thinking now.

THREAD BREAKING - with 6/0 and finer thread, I've found I will break the thread every time after whip finishing if I don't do one simple thing-- put a bodkin needle in the loop of your whip knot to keep it from twisting badly as you draw it tight. If you let the thread twist and bunch up as you pull it tight, it will break every time.

I agree with several of the other posters that a rotating matarelli style whip finish tool is easier to use than the other styles. Make sure you have a decent one too. In my opinion the best ones are made by matarelli (he invented it), Dr. Slick, and wasatch. My favorite is one by Dr. Slick and it only cost $5 or $6 and is a very well made tool.

Try just doing 3 rotation (or wraps) with the tool until you get the hang of it. Less tension that way, faster, and less tendency for the thread to break. Your knot won't be quite as strong though. But that's OK as you are learning.

I disagree with the other posters about doing it by hand. I can do a whip finish by hand but I find the matarelli tool much faster and easier. In 30 years tying I've much preferred using the tool. I think for occasional (not hard core) tyers like myself the tool is a better option. Just a differing opinion.

Greg

For anything smaller than 6 or 8 a matarelli is the way to go. Some production tyers I have spoken to use a hand whip all the time, but mostly because they are old school. A matarelli will give you a smooth finish and you can easily do MANY winds and still finish neatly.

For saltwater flies, and flies using flat waxed nylon thread a hand whip is usual because sometimes you are whip finishing BEHIND enough materials that you need the large matarelli and most folks don't have it.