Fly Tying
Bud Guidry

anything foam swap

got you on the list little buddy, thanks for hoppin on board

i've never played with foam before so this mourning i began playing around with this stuff, it's real easy to use and well, i came up with this in just a few minutes. not the pattern i'll be tying but just getting a feel for the foam. gonna be fun coming up with some crazy ideas. could have used a tad bigger and longer hook

post-2058-1218725439_thumb.jpg

Bud

Jim, thanks for joining buddy

ok fly tyers,

i'll set the deadline for september 20th, a little over a month.

everyone in agreement?

swap rules apply, get the imaginations flowing

Bud

I went out tonight and purchased my first packages of foam. Just tied my first fly... a simple foam spider. I can't say it looks "artistic" or "fancy" but panfish would eat it up! It's very similar to a Predator. I'm not sure what pattern I'll do yet as I just wanted to tie something with the foam to see what it's like.

Right now I'm thinking of a cricket. We'll see if I can get a decent one to come from my vise in the next few days. (Don't expect anything from me until Tues/Wed as I'll be working 14 hour days until then).

I've got a question. I noticed you listed some insects to try out but I've been messing around with some really buggy things that aren't specific insects that I think would work well. Is something like that ok or are you looking for something based on insects?

I am still a "bait fisherman" here and being a newbie I have two Q's:

1. How do we make sure that no duplicate patterns are presented?

and

2. For purposes of this swap - does foam = floating?

(I tie many film and sub-surface patterns by varying weight and foam density. I find it a very versatile alternative to dubbin')

:help:

thanks again

ok, when i said use your imagination thats what i meant, my answer to all of you would be go for it,

deflyguy. give us your best buddy, do whatever you feel like doing as long as foam is involved

i tied a dozen of those hoppers tonight, bummer, now i have 5 weeks to tie another 5 or 6 sets and knowing me, when i get bored, the foam will begin flying so with that said, you can bet i'll likely have two or three sets of different things.

i'm tickled by the lighting bug and i think i'll try a set but with a twist, i have some glow in the dark products i might try, i also have the glowing product they now make crappy flies with? stuff glows like a light. maybe fill a small clear tube of this powder, seal the ends and insert it into the back of a foam bug !!!!!

fireflies on a tandem rig?

Bud

<am I annoying yet or what>

Last Question Bud -

How many do I send in?

I was thinking of sending in my NS Porterhouse Caddis B) , of which there are 3 variations.

Do I send 1, 1 of each, a set of each?

I just don't want to disappoint

:dunno:

thanks again

you send a set of 1 particular pattern, sometimes swappers send extra sets if they want to or a few extras for the swap cordinator or as we call him, the swap miester. so a set of 12 flies are in order. you send them with a post paid extra envelope with your return address on it so once the swaps run it's course i will send the flies back to you. flies are toe tagged so each tier knows who made the flies they recieved.

Bud