Fly Tying
eastern fly

Tying room

My son moved out so now I have a extra room. In the past I converted a half bath in my fly tying room. Now is the time to move into that room that is larger. My question for everyone is if you could change or add anything to your room what would it be. I'm looking for ideas to upgrade as I move into that room. Thanks for your help. :yahoo:

Make sure you have plenty of desk space. I put in a counter top that runs the length of one wall, in addition to my tying desk. Added a couple of tall bookcases too. Also storage space. I use 2 oak drawing files I got from my office when we redecorated. They are for storing drawings up to 30"x42", with a couple of "office desk" type drawers at the top, and several drawing drawers below. I also put in a TV and computer. Have fun with it.

I would second everything that Chase Creek said,and add LIGHTING!! I don't know about any of the "older" folks on the boards here (of which I am one!) but I seem to be needing more light each year that goes in the books!

Sulphernut

I like the pics.I did have an idea of a counter type of table. Something long with a light shade of lamanet. Thank for the ideas. I'm still thinking.

Sulfernut started out right...LIGHT, LIGHT, and MORE LIGHT.

A nice big window with 2 light cans above it and make sure there are a couple of out-lets handy for even more. They also double for other little toys that end up around the tying space.

Make sure you have plenty of desk space. I put in a counter top that runs the length of one wall, in addition to my tying desk. Added a couple of tall bookcases too. Also storage space. I use 2 oak drawing files I got from my office when we redecorated. They are for storing drawings up to 30"x42", with a couple of "office desk" type drawers at the top, and several drawing drawers below. I also put in a TV and computer. Have fun with it.

Eastern fly, I have an old Kitchen table I tie on and I went to Wal- Mart and bought 4 ,3 drawer cabinets for materials. I also have a 9 drawer dresser for materials. You are going to want a comfortable chair and a good light also. Good luck.. Dave :yahoo:

Thanks DrVette, and Dave I have 2 good lights I use on my present table. It's falling apart. If the well moves its done I think.I do need a better chair. I also want to make a small corner for my office. That way I can do it all their. My gun cabnet is moving in their also, wifes orders, oh and my deer heads. WOMEN

Sufficient storage is very important. Cruise the yard and garage sale in your area, you can pick up just about anything you'll need for very little $.

Spacious tying desk

Lots of shelf space to hold bins of tying materials and books within easy reach

Good lighting

lots of drawer space

comfortable chair

Organized storage so that stuff can be found quickly.

Lightning

bench at the right height to stop back,neck and shoulder ache.

a sink for washing material after I've dyed it/ material from hunters and the road.

my computer monitor is right here on my tying desk, so I can try to tie what I find on the FTForum

1) have enough space for storage of stuff like a couple of 30 dollar dressers that you will find if they run on sale some were

2) you need a tv dinner tray and a good chair that is comfy. dinner tray looks like what at link below i got mine for $7.99 for one not a set

http://www.target.com/TV-Tray-Set-Natural/...rays&page=1

3) must have a tv with dvd player

4) i don't like having the computer in the tying area but it can double as a tying computer room. the reason is i can not do two at once when i take a break i get on the computer.

5) keep it clean the reason i use a tv dinner tray is to keep the room clean if i got clutter on the desk it going to lose stuff and wreck stuff most of all if some thing spills on a good cape your s.o.l. this and keep a vacuum in the room

6) a cord less phone will help so you do not have to get up wile tying when no one is home

any ways good luck and tight lines rhino................

A full wall of shelves. My ideal would be to have an entire wall with cubby holes to hold various size storage boxes. All in alphabetical order, by material. I would need a big room, but it would be great. I would also need a kitchenette with small stove and fridge, because I would never leave. LOL! Good luck! -Jamie