Fly Tying
Pujic

Why Do You Fly Fish?

Hey guys,

I often browse other boards just to see what's going on or pick up on a pattern or two. Mostly because I get bored at work from time to time and can't get fishing off my mind smile.gif Recently I came across a post where people spoke about their individual perceptions of fly fishing. This is my favorite forum, always will be, and only 1 of 2 in which I participate actively. That said, I'm interested to hear why you fly fish? What is it about this sport, hobby, past time, art whatever you call it, that you love most? Please keep in mind that there are NO right or wrong answers here. I'm not looking to start a heated discussion about clashing beliefs; just curious what you take away from fly fishing at the end of the day.

This may be long winded but here it goes. Personally I enjoy the challange. The amount of time and understanding it takes to study the fish's secret underwater world and all that comes with it. I enjoy the fact that I sit at the bench over the Winter, tying little flies with the hope they will do some damage on the water, even though I may not get to cast that very fly for another 4 or 5 months. I enjoy catching fish, although it is not my priority. When I do catch 'em, I enjoy their beauty and elegance, whether they are trout, bass (that's right) or even carp! Most of all I enjoy being outdoors, on the water, away from work, away from problems, and away from concrete jungles. NOTHING that I've ever tried in my life brings people together from all walks of life and far corners of the globe like fishing. This forum is a testament to that. I have met some of the nicest people I know, and some of the closest friends I have through fishing in one way or another. I'm sure this holds true for other sports and activities as well, but it is a value that should not be forgotten. I predominantly fly fish because I consider it to be more challenging than any other sort of fishing, especially when you combine it with fly tying. That is just my personal opinion, I chuck bait, troll spoons, drift roe and everything else too - no elitists here! I fly fish because it's one of the last things I did with my Grandfather over 10 years ago before "crossing the pond". I fly fish because I can.

What about you?

I’ve always been a fisherman from the time I was a young kid fishing for smallmouth in a farmer’s pond next door up to now. I had never been introduced to fly fishing and while shopping one day saw a fly fishing kit on sale at Kmart. Always willing to try something new to catch fish I picked it up and went out that afternoon to give it a shot. Needless to say I couldn’t cast, couldn’t catch any fish and left that night all ticked off. Unfortunately, I love a challenge so day after day I would go back, tie on this huge ball of fluff and cast till I got it right.

The challenge and thought behind fly fishing is what truly brought me into it. Once I was hooked I then began tying flies, not pretty flies but again the challenge was on. I often think that it must be human nature to always want to do it better with each day. “Ok yesterday I caught 5 fish I want to catch 6 today.” Fly fishing to me is that challenge that no matter how many times I go, flies I tie, fish I catch there is always something to learn and experiences to enjoy. Where else but standing in a bubbling stream with the trickling sounds of water and a cool deep breath can a man cleanse his soul of all noise in his life.

Oh, and I like to catch fish too.

For myself fly fishing takes me back to a more simpiler time and makes me feel more in touch with the way fishing was back many many years ago,i feel more in touch with the river and more a part of the river instead of just standing in it.

I feel like i'm fishing the way my grandpa did back in the earlier part of the 1900's and i feel more at peace with myself.

I do other types of fishing bait,lure,spin but to me thats just fishing....its not the whole feeling that comes with stepping into a river with fly rod in hand.

SD

I flyfish for the challenge. IT isnt that hard to catch a fish with live bait or any bait for that matter, not that I dont do it. But to Out wit another living creature into taking a ball or hair or a few feathers is a real thrill. To tie a fly that looks more realistic and to convince the fish that it will taste good ( or make it mad enough to strike) is a thrill. I get a great deal of satisfaction from building the rod that fought the fish and tying the fly that caught the fish. and it seems that with every cast I can feel the stress of work or life flying away. even if I dont catch fish I enjoy that time Away from the hustle and bustle, Time with my DAD or alone and hope to pass this love on to my children

To make a long story short, I caught a couple of steelhead on flies bought at a store while using my spinning rod. At least at this particular time flies were out fishing live bait but I couldn't afford to continue buying flies. Thus began my fly tying.

I love fly tying more than fly fishing (but not by much). There are days where the weather is questionable for fishing so I'll tie instead. If you're going to tie flies then you're gonna have to fish them eventually.

I target trout because of the waters they live in. I've never seen a trout live in an ugly place. Even the city river here (south of Detroit) makes you forget that you are in the city. Trout waters are more peaceful IMO opinion than other waters.

I'm in no way an elitist. I have spawn in the freezer, have used crawlers, crickets, wigglers and waxies at one time or another. Here in Michigan it gets too cold to be stripping fly line during the winter so the spinning rod, live bait and plugs come out. But there is something pure about fly fishing, more so if you tie your own flies. There's something to be said for twisting road kill around a hook and attempting fool a fish with them. I know I can't explain it and doubt many others can but there is something pure about fly fishing.

I don't know if I answered your question Nick but I'm not sure I or anyone else could real well. It's just one of those things that we do that we love. dunno.gif

Pujic, a post like yours is hard to beat. You pretty much nailed it to perfection.

I also like the casting aspect! There is something about the movement and energy transfers and grace of fly casting that makes it mighty enjoyable to me. I'm an 'Elitist' by choice. I spent my whole life fishing all sorts of ways and settled on fly fishing about 20 years ago.

I use to fish with hardware but on the weekends when I would watch fishing programs on the TV I saw people fly fishing and I thought it looked really cool. Then there were times on the water where I was casting my spinner across the river and not catching a thing while fly fishermen around me were catching fish.

Now rather than saying it looks cool, I like to say its poetry in motion. I find myself captivated by others casting and the peace of a river. I now know that the majority of a river fishes diet is composed of aquatic insects so on that basis alone I prefer to nymph fish when there arent splashes around me.

And Im too lasy to bring two rods to the river with me that if nymphs and dries arent working I wil throw on my streamer reel and cast some mudlers into deep holes and runs.

POETRY IN MOTION

Fishing with hardware and not catching anything is boring, but fly fishing is more active and artistic.

Fishing is a gamble.

When I go, I bring a few different rods and let the conditions determine my presentation, flies, bait, plugs....I let Mother Nature determine my approach and go from there.

I rarely buy flies as I tie about 90% of what I use when I do. When I use my own ties, there's a certain sense of laying myself on the line....literally. I tied it and presented it in my own way. When I hook or even land a fish on one of my own, I get a satisfaction that I don't get from a bought lure or bait.

Then there's the art of casting. I taught myself to flyfish. Money can't buy that feeling of hooking a fish after a perfectly rollcasted fly that came from my vice. Knowing that the knots I tied on my own leader made from what I had available at the time held up is icing on the cake.

There's a personal aspect to flyfishing that other methods don't allow me to experience.

Fly fishing to me is and art. I enjoy watching someone casting gracefully hopeing that one day I'll be able to do the same. The solitude on a early morning stream is hard to beat yet fishing with a friend is rewarding as well. My grandafther is the one that wanted me to learn to flyfish. Back then, I had no idea of the challenge and addiction that would follow.

One can fish nearly anywhere that mankind lives. But flyfishing for trout and salmon takes place in beautiful places. I don't fish in muddy, stagnant waters.

Fishing with flies requires that we try to outwit a fish, not attract it with smells and sounds, that we stalk the fish, not wait for time and tide to bring it to us.

And, yes, there is an elitist component. Anyone can drown worms or shrimp. Bait and spinning tackle are, for the most part designed so that anyone can use them. Fly fishing tackle requires much more interaction.

Actually, I'll chime in on this one. I've heard many a times that "anyone can use bait, scents, and hardware" to catch fish. Well, ANYONE can use flies/fly rods as well. BUT, can those same people on BOTH sides CATCH fish? Well, I'm not sure how easy the east coast/midwest steelheaders are, but on the west side, there are as many (if not more) skunked gear anglers as their are fly guys. There is a knack for everything. I've yet to find a hardcore fly angler who truly is a master at using the "dark arts" as they claim. In fact, have had the opportunity to fish with a few who claimed how easy it was to use bait/gear. Guess who had a skunked day and who had fish when we were all using the same stuff? biggrin.gif It's all in knowledge. Yes, some people are blessed to have it easy catching fish with all sorts of gear. But even with eggs, shrimp, etc, it's all in freshness, curing, and how you present as well. If you're fishing the wrong spot, you're not gonna be catching anything. Plus, a person who knows how to properly use a spinner and spoon will outfish those who just toss and crank them back in (this is NW steelheading mind you). You have the lucky ones, but for most part it's not THAT easy. So far to date, those who have taken my challenge (who are fly only, or claim to have been well versed gear anglers before becoming fly only) have not faired well at all.

Ok, got that off my chest. LOL. Mostly because I truly do it all. And, for most part, it's easy if you know what you're doing. If you grab a rookie and toss them into the sport with any type of gear, good chances they won't have too much success, or be the opposite and just be a "natural".

Myself, I started flyfishing around age 10/11. Had been fishing since I was 3. Was out grabbing my Dad's and my rods to go steelheading, when I stumbled across an old fenwick 8wt glass rod in the corner I had always thought was another baitcaster (couldn't see the lower part of the rod since it was covered up with other rods). Come to find out it was my uncles who had passed years before, and he was a big fly angler on the rivers we currently fish (Hoh, SolDuc, etc). My Dad gave me the ok to use it, and out came a fly angler. Also, a fly tyer as well. Couldn't afford to buy flies, so I actually salvaged furs from my Dad's hunting pelts, and craft stuff from my mom's room, and then tied them on octopus hooks at first. Then, once I had the money (was using most of my paperroute money back then for baseball cards, and other misc. gear), I bought a newer vise, fly hooks, and better materials.

Personally, I find the greatest art of flyfishing in the flytying aspect. Yes, casting a fly rod is graceful, but for myself it's all in the guy tying up the fly. Like any aspect of the sport, when it comes to working the fly, is no different then a gear angler working his gear. Most will speed up, slow down their lines to improve their presentation. Only difference comes when the fish is hooked. LOL. Alot easier playing a fish on a gear rod then a fly rod (the fulcrum aspect). Plus a multi speed self spooling reel helps as well. LOL. I love flyfishing, but I will never claim it's more of an elitist way to fish, or put myself on a higher pedestal because of it. Nothing drives me nuts more then those who claim that a fish is so spectacular that they ONLY deserve to be caught on a well tied fly. Basically saying that everyone else (including new anglers) are scum because they are catching their fish (and probably more after reading their reports) on crappy tied flies, but by someone working their flyrod better then them. They are the one who tend to drive people away from the sport, and truly have no just in calling themselves a fly angler. Now, if you can tie a nice fly, so be it. But shouldn't knock someone down because they can't. It's how you use it in the long run that counts the most.

Ok, off my pedestal. wink.gif

I'd hate to see the original topic that Pujic brought up turned into a 'us vs. them' thread. It was a good post by Pujic and a good question. If we all just answered the post directly there would be no need for ruffled feathers.