Fly Tying
Scorpio

Tying thread

I mostly use Danville threads, but have a few spools of uni thread too. I probably use Danville's flat waxed nylon more than anything.

i use thread from uniproducts in canada. mostly size 0/8 and size 0/6 for deer bear and elk.

Claudia

I like UTC thread because it will lay flat. I also like the Lagartun X Strong and XX Strong thread. I like to really clamp down on my materials. :D

I heard of UNI threads. They should be very good or the best. So, probably, I´m going to buy these.

I like the uni-threads for everyday tying. Pearsall's silk for wets, spiders, flymphs. Griffith's 14/0 for everything #16 and smaller.

Uni thread, Benecchi 12/0, Lagartun xx-strong, and Wapsi GSP.

I'm not really parial to any brand cause I don't notice a huge difference between them. I use Uni, Orvis, Gudebrod etc. pretty much interchangeably. The exception though is UTC and Danville's flat waxed threads. I usually use this only for flies that I need to make a smooth underbody for like salmon flies. The thread lays flat which is great for the salmon flies but I don't really like it for most other flies. Then there's "specialty" threads like gel spun and silk that I also use when needed.

Is any significant difference between UTC and UNI? I know only UTC (a little bit).

Yes there is a pretty significant difference. UNI thread stays round while you tie with it and UTC lays flat when you wrap it. So uni will create less bulk but it is more "slippery".

I use 8/0 UNI for most of my tying. I also use UNI Big Fly for pike streamers, Danville for flies #20 and above or Pearsall's Silk for a classical wet, but these are more of exception than rule and like 90% of my flies are done using 8/0 UNI. The thread has never let me down and the color range is more than adequate for my needs.