Fly Tying
HobbesFly

Who do you buy your flies from?

Who do you buy your flies from?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I usually get some flies once a year when the Flyfishing show rolls through my area (sometime in Jan or Feb, all I know it's cold out!). I'll buy a dozen or so and then spend the next two months duplicating them. I then spend the next 9 months losing them in the river, on bushes, logs you name it ! :rolleyes:

I bought, uuuggghhh, 3 gummy minnows this year, so I broke a 42 year stint of tying all my own. And that is even not poaching at the fly tackle dealers show each year.

My name is Futzer, and I know I now have a Gummy problem.

Cheers, Futzer.

Oh Coach Bob, the hardest part is admitting you have a problem :-), Futzer.

I hear that the guy at www.anglerschoiceflies.com ties up some sweetstuff!!

I won't argue with you there ;) We do have a number of guys here on the site that produce great flies commercially like myself and Day5 (Matt) as well as guys with real shops and their patterns with Umpqua like Dave Hise. There are also a number of people here that participate in the FlyMart through Stockards...lots of choices.

I tie a ton of flies, but many times find that the vast majority of those are not for myself. I do like to stop at local shops and pick up some flies when I am away from central Ohio. I like to use those flies both to fish with when in the area and as patterns for me to add to my 'list'. Support of the good local shops is always something I try to do when I travel.

I do see many discount fly sites around, some listed by Bob above. This will seem self serving since I do sell flies, but be careful when using those sites...many times you get what you pay for and will end up disappointed with the durability and perhaps even functionality of what you recieve. That is not to say they don't have their place or are all junk...just buyer beware.

I just realized that my question is kind of misleading... I was looking more for a "brand" of flies as opposed to a "kind". Only dealers and pro guides can order directly from companies like Umpqua and Idylwilde. MY BAD.

If I go somewhere like the PM with Steve I try to buy a few things at the local shop to do a little bit in helping the shop out.

Mike

has anyone heard of a watermelon fly, I steelhead fish in erie PA and I keep reading reports on this guy hammering the steelhead on a watermelon fly?

Thanks

I don't buy many flys, only in an emergency. I do like to stop at a local shop when I go away from home, much like maddog48 said, and support the local shop where I am. I try to do that even if I'm not fishing where I'm going.

On a different but related note I find that I end up giving a good percentage of the flys I tye away, either to friends I'm with or to new "friends" I meet on the water. It's part of what makes this fun for me.

If I do buy any flies I usually will buy them from theflystop.com. Kory the owner is awesome. .55 a fly usually and they are great looking flies. He is a super fast shipper too. I am not the greatest at spinning deer hair yet and I got a bunch of deer hair poppers from him for bass fishing and they were only 1.30. They were great looking poppers and for the price with a weedguard you can't go wrong. Great site IMO