Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
buckeyebrewer

Walmart

Not really a target rich environment for tyers. I have used them for Silicone, super glue, and compartment boxes. That is about it.

Cheers, Futzer.

A few years back the Walmart in Rolla, Missouri had a punch of tying materials. I got some black marabou there that turned my fingers black when tying with it. I don"t see them carrying much anymore. Like anything buyer beware.

You can find organza for mayfly wings in the craft department. Some of the chenilles in crafts are good, as well. Some of the craft furs are good for streamers. The foam sheets are good for tying hoppers, beetles, etc. You can also find corks in various sizes for poppers. The silver, gold, etc threads are good for ribbing. Look in the glass bead section, they have a killer clear green bead that is the cat's meow for rockworm patterns. There is a ton of stuff in any store that has a craft section. You just have to be imaginative and resilient. -Jamie

foam sheets

beads

bead containers

ribbons for body material

yarns

tinsel

wire

and on and on and on

walmarts round here r not very fly tyer friendly

shane

walmart here clearanced EVERYTHING OUT and no longer sell it.....shulda bought that rod case for 10.oo when i was there...snooze i lose

I have never bought fly tying material there other than some of the items listed above in the craft department. However, last year I was traveling to Yellowstone and stopped in a new Walmart in Idaho Falls, ID and noticed they actually had a Walmart Fly Shop with it's own room even and big labeling above, the whole works. I didn't enter it so I can't say what was in there, but I got a chuckle out of it. I use to clean out the local Walmart for these container boxes they would sell. They were a group of 24 tic-tac type containers in one bigger container that was great for beads and dubbing, its how I organize such today. They were only $2.88. :D

Ah, also, in the Lawn and garden section.........The mylar icicle strands, exactly the same material as flashabou. Only you get 5x's more for 10x's less $$$$. The materials are exactly the same, they just don't have spirit river, wapsi, hareline, etc stamped on them. The majority of fly tying materials comes from the textile industry anyways, the companies just jack the $$ up 40%. They are no different. The only thing that I would say is a fly tying industry only is Whiting Hackles. They are far superior (for dry flies) than anything else out there. Notice I said for dry flies. -Jamie

They don't have any tying stuff at any of their stores near me. I used to get my fishing license at the one in Glenmont, until the time two years ago when there was no one at the counter. I had the folks at the tire department page for assistance since they were really close to the sporting goods area. Nobody showed up, so I left and got it down the road at Kmart's.

Regards,

Mark

The Wally worlds near me (Leesburg and Sterling Va stores)- I have bought guinea feathers, life time supply goose biots for about a dollar, doll eyes, beads etc... I think I even got some partridge too, been a long time ago though.

I use Loc-Tite super glue that I get at Wal-Mart for coating my Zebra midges and have no problems recommending it to anyone. I also use their Coats & Clark threads for Yong Specials. In the book Midge Magic, D&C threads are mentioned for certain midge patterns. Wal-Mart used to carry that thread but has since quit. I do also use their little plastic bobbins for midge tying and have 2 of the 60 spool thread racks.

Mike