Fly Tying
northshore

dubbing wax

I haven't really done to many flies with dubbing yet.I don't have any dubbing wax, so I tried my bow string wax to see if it would work.What are some other options to using dubbing wax?

post-18325-1228843156_thumb.jpg

If you need it, go pick up a beeswax toilet bowl gasket, it will last for your life time and it is cheap. I've been using the stuff for 20 years.

northshore

The stuff traditionally used for violin strings is rosin (purified pine resin.) It is way too hard by itself, but an excellent dubbing wax can be made melting rosin with beeswax and oil of cedar (or similar oil.)

northshore

The stuff traditionally used for violin strings is rosin (purified pine resin.) It is way too hard by itself, but an excellent dubbing wax can be made melting rosin with beeswax and oil of cedar (or similar oil.)

Bowstring wax is also a mixture of beeswax and rosin. Use what you have until you decide (from experience) it is either too tacky or not tacky enough to do the job.

On the subject of wax,although I don't really use wax that much, I took a hint from AK Best a while back. I took one of those tubes of wax (Loon, I think), melted it, and poured it into a small plastic box that has a hinged lid. Think paper clips came in it. MUCH easier to use, just run your finger across the top and apply to the thread. You should never apply wax directly from the tube to the thread - you end up with way too much and it tends to clump up. When done, just close the lid.

The guys in the Classic Forum use a dryer form of wax (on their thread) at certain times. It is applied on the thread to help hold materials in the right place. An example would be when tieing in the herl butt, the last turn of herl tends to want to "slip off", so with the thread wraps that have the wax on it , hold it in place. Its not used for dubbing, this wax is not as sticky and can be used to finish the heads of Classics also. With the large heads the thread will slip forward so we use this "dry" wax to keep the thread from falling towards the eye, see example: In the Butt section I have used wax on thread wraps under the Herl butt to keep the herl "tight" and wax on thread when building the head, pretty much impossible to end up with a head as this without it!

post-4571-1230498039_thumb.jpg