Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
willhunsaker

i admit that i have never caught a trout on a fly

<_< can you help me with my embbaressing topic ??????????????????

tell me a little bout the water u r fishing and the type of trout....wild.....stocked.combination of both?

flies u r using and time of year and i am quite sure we (the members )can help you.

shane

There are so many factors to consider that without more information it is impossible to come up with a good answer. Like iso18 mentioned, even knowing the type of water you have tried would help. Other things such as how long you have been trying, how many times you have gone out, have you taken a class, etc would make a reply more easy to form. If you are a beginner, it can be a short, but very steep learning curve before you start catching fish. There are so many little things that add up to success or not, from type of fly to drag on the line, to type of water and how to best fish it, etc.

Here's my best advice, do everything you can to beg, borrow or steal enough money to hire a guide for a day. Pick a river in an area that is known to be a good place to fish. Make it clear to the guide what you are looking for, which is probably help with fly selection and presentation (casting, drift, line control, etc.) A good guide in one day can teach you more than you could learn by yourself through trial and error over a couple of dozen or more trips by yourself. It may be expensive, but it is worth the price in the long run to flatten out that learning curve and start catching trout. Good luck!

Hey, that's ok. I've been fly fishing for years and still have never caught a trout. A lot of fish, but never a trout. :thumbsup: I think a guide is good advice. But I also recomend everyone start with panfish on the flyrod. You can work on your casting, presentation, etc., but they aren't nearly so picky and you can still catch a few even if you pile your line at the end of a cast. I also believe that catching a fish or two will boost your confidence, which will help your skills all around.

deeky

I agree with Deeky, nothing will help boost your confidence faster then something tugging on that line. And as strange as it may seem, trout will eat the same things that panfish will eat. So if you find something the panfish like on a regular basis, don't be afraid to cast it for trout, you will be pleasently suprised.

Seriously! The only reason I have ever caught trout (other than I got lucky) is because I have friends who make me go. Given the choice of fishing for trout around or going Carpin' Id choose Carpin' every time! They are spookier, they hit harder, they run faster, they run farther, They are more technical and they never give up. Yea Yea trout are prettier.. How many times have you drank beer after fishing and said "Oh my fish was way prettier than yours!" NO! The world doesn't revolve around trout! Id rather fight a 30 pound fish that gives me no choice but to do battle with him for 10 minutes. Now Give me a chance for a world class trout and Im game. But that is another quest. So do not put your self down because you have not caught a trout on a fly if you want to keep at it they are like Bass they hit everything! LOL And sometimes nothing. Now if you think you need to catch a trout to join the elite fraternity of fly guys. You do not blue gills are good enough for that club! Nothing to be embarrassed about!

A couple quick beginner tips: Fish in the bottom 6 inches of water and the top 3 inches. Fish want to save energy so they live in the areas of least resistance. Most new nymphers don't get down deep enough. Add weight and adjust your indicator/leader length until you are hooking the bottom on occassion. One loose rule is use a indicator spaced 1.5 times the water depth, water speed will change this some but it is a good starting point, so if the water in the hole at its deepest is 5 feet, start with a 7.5 foot distance. Also use fluorocarbon tippet, just remember to not leave it as trash, it takes too long to decompose. And a good choice is a guided trip, ask some questions, tell the guide what you would really like to do catch several trout.

Oh and Lastly all my fish are prettier than Matt D5s fish, JK JK.

Just have fun and learn all that anyone cares to teach you.

Cheers, Futzer.

I agree with these folks, you will eventually catch one on a fly. Great advice given too!

I get the impression from your other posts that you're rather young. As such, I would bet not very experienced with using flies just yet either.

How many times have you actually fished for trout with flies?

You also seem to lack some confidence.

It reminds me of me at one time. Probably many others here also!

Trout, like many other fish species have the brain the size of a pea. They're not overly smart or that difficult to catch, but they do have instincts that you have to contend with. More so than bluegills, but less than carp. Some people will argue this. They can be spooked, and they can be educated or conditioned to fishing pressure, like many other species, that make them sometimes difficult to catch, especially for a novice fly angler. However, you can still catch them.

Tell us about your experience, how many times you've fished for them, what techniques you've tried, and how you approach the waters you've been fishing. What flies have you tried?

Be honest too, no one will think less of you for lack of experience. We all have started somewhere in our fly fishing journey.

Fact is if you're not getting your flies in front of the trout, so they'll eat it, you'll catch very few. You also have to be fishing where they live. Some sections of trout streams, will simply not hold any fish for various reasons. If you're spooking them away, you'll also catch very few.

You may get lucky eventually, like Day5 has said, but you can increase your odds with some added knowledge. I agree too with hiring a guide. You can learn a lot in a short period if the guide is a good teacher. Unfortunately, not all are.

Post some details, I would bet you could learn a lot more here too.

. Yea Yea trout are prettier.. How many times have you drank beer after fishing and said "Oh my fish was way prettier than yours!"

...to many times to count............

shane

p.s. the world may not revolve around trout,but its more beautiful with them in it................

If a trout is the eagle of flyfishing then a carp must be??????????????????????The pigeon....lmao joking

back to the topic,seems we have strayed a little,its just like anything,persistence.Like day5 says some days trout and bass will hit anything, a bare hook even,i've seen them do it.On others they may make you feel very dumb,leaving you thinking they r overly intelligent.

You just have to be persistent and you will eventually get that first one on the fly.Once you do that it will be all down hill.Mostly ,i mean heck,half the fun of fly fishing is the fishing,not the catching.

After that contact day5 and get a recipe for a carp fly.........Hmm.Carp on a fly maybe i'll give it a try..Got an idead i'll make a new fly and call it the "fecal matter flymph".I've caught plenty on doughballs and liver and dogfood and worms and so on and I have to say they do fight harder than any other fish i have ever taken.I guess its just the places they live thart dont attract me to them,around here if there is a carp near by there is usually going to be a foul smell in the air and justr plain flat water.

I like streams.Eddies,pocket water....long divided currents with fresh mountain air above them...Water you can read and feel its pulse.....BUT THATS JUST ME.

Day 5 seriously though,what would the best way to catch carp on the fly say around a chemical plant,i know where one is and have caught allot of carp there when i was younger.What would be the best way to go about this....Dang now you got me wanting to catch a carp on a fly..Dang it!

shane

Shane you are way off on carp. Carp do not exist on polluted water only but they can tolerate it. Ive taken carp with streamers while smallie fishing! Spinners while steelie fishing. And not incidental but rather down the throat. They are not a trash eater they are a predator. And a fierce one. I wasn't putting down people who like to trout fish just the notion that does exist and that is that fly fishing is trout fishing and you can not have one with out the other. Never catching a trout on a fly doesn't make any one less then the next guy. Never have catching a carp on the fly well that is a test of manhood but its not necessary. If you ever get a carp on the fly and if it is of good size 15 lb plus You will think it has the prettiest set of lips ever! They are a bad azz top shelf predator!

Catching any fish is less about the fly and more about the presentation. If you do not put the fly in a positions and in a manner that gets attention with out spooking the fish off forget it. A properly presented fly will get bit. Now also understand that if there was a huge may fly hatch for the last 3 nights that the fish may not feed to much on the 4th day. No matter how you present your fly. So a contact person fr stream and fishing conditions is helpful.

Having only been chasing trout since opening day in 2007, I'm certainly no expert. I never chased them as a kid as the stockies in Philadelphia where I grew up didn't seem worth the effort. Well, now I'm obsessed as I'm sure you all can appreciate. I knew I was a different type of fisherman when I found myself fishing to the same fish in this tight little drift for over three hours this fall.

Anyway all good advice, and I think the best was that the catch is most contingent upon the proper drift. Use the library and read everything you can about presentation. Fish the current seams and places where the trout can hide out from the strong currents and wait for your fly and their food. My best advice would be to not jump right into the water when you get to the stream. Take some time to study it, pick out that sweet spot, seam, rock, bend or whatever and make those first few drifts count.

I was lucky on my first outing, my neighbor and mentor an 81 year old gentleman fisher took me and we spent the first 45 minutes just walking the stream bank with him pointing out different spots and offering tips. When we actually went into the stream he offered me up his traditional opening day drift and I caught my first trout on my third drift. I was lucky but I had spent the previous summer and fall chasing panfish, smallies and stripers on the fly so I had learned some valuable lessons. Another thing, you are probably missing many hits as I discovered for myself. Those little bandies certainly hit light. Don't let any snobs discourage you from using an indicator even if they call them bobbers. I discovered I actually did much better fishing drys in the first year because I was actually able to see the take.

Don't be discouraged as I'm now trying to chase natives and I have been seriously humbled. I spent all summer fishing Valley Creek in PA and only caught three fish (20 or more outings).

Finally Day 5 I have to agree, I caught my first carp on the fly this summer in Crum Creek behind my house after at least three separate outings, I finally got her to take an inch worm pattern tied of chartreuse bucktail. Well it was certainly worth the effort. It was one serious fight and on my 8wt too. They are certainly more selective than trout and I discovered if they are not feeding don't even bother