Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Vilageidiot

My First Adams

A great job indeed on your first try.

You can add a little fly tyer's wax to the thread to help with the dubbing. Make sure you place just a tiny bit of dubbing on the thread and roll it tight between your fingers. It is good that you are seeing where you need some work. The eye is a little crowded. Also, the wing should rise above the hackle 1 1/2 to 2 times.

Very good first effort, and it will catch fish. Now try for half as much in the tail. Use a super fine dubbing (your dubbing looks like its a little course.) Move your wing back a little, and see if you can find a more pronounced feather for the wing. Hackle with 2 turns of each color behind the wing, and 2 or 3 turns in front of the wing. Proportions. Tail: full length of hook to bend. Hackle 1.5 times hook gap. Wing: length of hook to the beginning of bend, or equall to the body length. That should make your wing just slightly taller than the hackle.

Some great modifications of this pattern: Use moose body hair for the tail, keep it sparce, and white calf for the wing (Hair Wing Adams.)

Use olive dubbing for the body, and tan.

Nice first Adams. What was said so far. A couple personal preferences, Hackle 1.5 times the hook gap length, wings 2x the hook gap length. As for spinning on dubbing, take a small pinch, then pinch that in half, then pinch that in half, now you have the right amount, when you spin it on the thread, grab the thread tightly, about 2 inches from the hook with left thumb and forefinger, spin the dubbing onto the thread so it is slightly carrot shaped, and looks like you just barely colored a piece of thread. Spin it in with your right hand, thumb and forefinger Big tip. Twist it on, in one direction, not back and forth as that will tighten then loosen your dubbing. Next tip, you can always add a little more dubbing if you are short, but removing too much is a big mess. Keep at it, in fact tie 5-dozen and see how much # 60 is better than #1.

Cheers Futzer.

I wish my 1st adams looked that good . like everyone else pointed out,wings a little bigger and super fine dubbing will make for some great flys.

I like the spit and roll method I don't like dubbing wax.

But the one you tied should catch a fish.

Adams are great flies,

On Mauch Chunk Creek here in Pa, thats the fly I use about 90% of the time.

It Never lets me down.

My first Adam's just wanted to see what people thought. Am I crowding the eye to much, and is there an easy way to put dubbing onto the fly line?

post-18456-1232079117_thumb.jpg

good job for your first Adams you need to twist the dubbing al little thinner and use wax to keep the dubbing together. you could move the wing a bit closer to the eye but not to close then you will have to straighten out the tail, you could try to put it in the hair stacker but sometime that does not work so if it doesn't then you will have to cut it and keep it together and it will make it look a lot better.

Proportions are the key and for the most part hold true regardless off fly pattern. It makes all the difference. You are well on your way if thats your first attempt. Tie a bunch more and then compare them - you should be pleased with the improvements you see.

Yep, good effort on this fly. It may be a bit top heavy,or tend to land on its eye or head. The wings need to be longer than the hackle and as stated should be positioned further back, heres an example of one I tied , which I'm happy with except the hackle is a tad short. Just crank out a few dozen (what Futzer stated) and your will be fine

post-4571-1234106622_thumb.jpg

Hi VI, it has been a few weeks, lets see another Adams. Oh and listen to Bruce, he is a Zen Master of tying.

Cheers, Futzer.

Here is my latest attempt at the Adams tell me what y'all think. Sorry i took so long to finally post an updated pic but I haven't had a whole lot of time to tie but I'm working on that.post-18456-1236732614_thumb.jpg