Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bugslinger15129

the best all around sunglasses

Hi everybody,

I have seen a lot of good looking sunglasses everywhere, but which lense color is the best for fishingall over the place? I fish in michigan, canada, and down south in louisiana. so which lense color should i buy?

I live in BC, Canada. I have fished in Canada, all over the USA, and parts of Europe.

I have found that in Freshwater, I prefer Light brown/Grey tint, but in clear saltwater (Like the keys etc...) I prefer more yellows in the tint. I guess that is more of a personal preference, But thought I would let you know.

Rick

I have had several dozen sunglasses over the years, I like Kaenon's in the C12 amber/brown lens, and the Y35 yellow lens for low light conditions. Best lenses I have every had bar none.

Cheers, Futzer.

Hi everybody,

I have seen a lot of good looking sunglasses everywhere, but which lense color is the best for fishingall over the place? I fish in michigan, canada, and down south in louisiana. so which lense color should i buy?

If you're only going to get one set for everything, get amber.

-- Mike

Ive never used anything but wally world clip on for 15.99. and sometimes I can see fish and most of the time probably not.

If I buy a pair of $125.--$150 at BPS am I going to say "WOW I should have done it a long time ago".

What can I expect? I'm not talking about shading my eyes I'm thinking bottom and things under the glare... like fish.

How much better should I expect to see? Do they help out say at 10' -15' away in 2-3-4' of water?

How important are they for seeing fish? The water might be gin clear then somewhat stained.

Thanks

TnTom

Check out these links on talkflyfishing. They might help you too....

http://talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=sunglasses

I know it's a lot of links, but each has some good info.

Personally, when I can afford it, I think I'm going to order a pair of the Smith Optics Interlocks - you can change lenses based upon the color need of that day's fishing. http://www.smithoptics.com/Interchangeable...tegory_115.html

I haven't checked with Nate at D&R to see if he can get them, but I do know that Lunkers in Edwardsburg carries them, as does Great Lakes Flyfishing Co in Rockford.

Good luck!

For buying only one pair, your three primary considerations should be:

Polarized

Amber Lens

Scratch Resistant

And remember, if you need bi-focal or magnification help, the stick on bi-focals do work.

If you fish alot get the best pair you can afford. Good glasses make a huge differance. I just used whatever for a number of years and then tried a good pair and was amazed at the differance, no glare, able to see "into" the water. Since then they have been a big help to my fishing success. Remember to get a good strap to keep them from going swimming on you.

Ive never used anything but wally world clip on for 15.99. and sometimes I can see fish and most of the time probably not.

If I buy a pair of $125.--$150 at BPS am I going to say "WOW I should have done it a long time ago".

What can I expect? I'm not talking about shading my eyes I'm thinking bottom and things under the glare... like fish.

How much better should I expect to see? Do they help out say at 10' -15' away in 2-3-4' of water?

How important are they for seeing fish? The water might be gin clear then somewhat stained.

Thanks

TnTom

TnTom, if nothing else treat yourself to a decent polarized lens, my glasses are the most important piece of gear. My Kaenons, which are expensive, allow me to see fish amazingly better than non polarized lens. There are good not too expensive options out there.

Cheers, Futzer.

I have owned many high end sunglasses but I have never had a pair that I liked better than my Maui Jim's. They are the only glasses I would buy now.

TnTom, if nothing else treat yourself to a decent polarized lens, my glasses are the most important piece of gear. My Kaenons, which are expensive, allow me to see fish amazingly better than non polarized lens. There are good not too expensive options out there.

There are two pieces of gear that I would replace, without hesitation, if I lost or broke them. I'm pretty thrifty with regard to taking out debt. For these two items, I would, without question, stretch credit card payments out, if necessary, to buy them.

My sunglasses are one of those pieces. I have a pair of Costa del Sol's, grey lenses, with the magnifiers built in. I may splurge this year and purchase a set with amber lenses (I have another brand with amber lenses, but the magnifiers are not built into those). The Costa's provide excellent visibility under a wide range of conditions. I also don't have to swap between my reading glasses and sunglasses when I need to tie or adjust my flies. My current pair was not cheap, I don't remember the exact price, they were over a hundred but less than two, but they have lasted three years. I've had other pairs, expensive and inexpensive, that lasted barely a year, if that. I use them for everything, too. Well worth the price that I paid for them.

I can't say much on the waters up north but for the upper Gulf of Mexico, amber is the way to go. The amber lenses really work well in the tanic water of the gulf. They are great for seeing reds tail on shallow flats and near oyster bars. At least this is the case in Florida's Big Bend and Panhandle. I imagine Lousiana is not too much different.

The Orvis Tri-Spectrum are, in my opinion, the best out there. They filter 3 of the primary spectrums of light, as opposed to one like all other polarized sunglasses, giving a greater contrast between underwater objects. The Maui Jims, Costas, Action Optics, and others are nice sunglasses but none offer the vision that the Tri-Spectrums do.

As far as the best color lenses:

Copper is best for changing light angling conditions.

Rose picks up greens and blues and is best for sunny, shallow flats and spring creek fishing.

Brown or Amber is the best all day, multi-purpose lens color.