Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
B.C.TroutHunter

Funniest Thing Caught Fishing?

QUOTE (B.C.TroutHunter @ Jul 19 2004, 10:09 PM)
What is the funniest thing that happened to you while fishing? (nothing unusual has ever happened in my boring life)

I hooked a 3-foot alligator by the tail on a 4-weight with a size 14 wet fly. He won the battle on a 4X tippet pretty easily.

But the best one happened to someone else while I was in the boat. We were fishing for specks and redfish off the Chandeleur Islands in the Gulf of Mexico. On his backcast, he wrapped his line around a seagull's left wing. While he was trying to hold the gull's wing with one hand and take the line off, the gull was pecking at him and trying to flap away with the other wing.

You couldn't pay enough for good entertainment like that. biggrin.gif

Back in the 80's when i use to go fishing with my grandpa&dad gramps would always fall asleep in the boat and most times he would just sit his rod in his lap when he did. Well one time he had it hanging over the side of the boat and when he dosed off SPLASH! the rod took a swim...but thats not the funny part yet.

A few days later we where fishing a good couple hundred yards of more downstream from where gramps lost his rod and i hooked something that i thought was a snag....sure enough after bringing it up i saw a rod that i had hooked on the end of my line and it was grandpa's huh.gif

True story......gramps lost a couple rods,sunglasses,a bucket and assorted other equipment that way but that rod was the only thing we got back laugh.gif

Another funny one (not something caught but still funny) and about grandpa!

After heading back in one day gramps fired up the motor and headed to the boat ramp but the boat seemed very "sluggish" even though the motor sounded OK. Well after the mile or so trip upstream he said he would have to take the boat in to see what was wrong with it. About the time we got to the boat luanch i started to get out when i noticed that the anchor rope was still tied to the side of the boat and the anchor was about 15 feet behind us unsure.gif blink.gif

Good thing it didnt get caught on a log as we powered upstream!

Awww memorys of grandpa laugh.gif i miss fishing with him.

SD

back when was probly 7 years old, me and my cuz arron and his buddy where fishing the little brook up by are camp, i kinda fell in where we were fishing, i got out and i had a trout in my rubber boot,

was a day of fishing i'll never forget!

I've caught a lot of other animals while fishing...turtles, snakes, pelicans, geese, etc. Below is a story a good friend of mine told me about an unusual item he caught one night. We'll say his name is "Bob" to protect his identity....

Bob lives in Virginia Beach and is an avid striper fisherman, heading out into the Chesapeake Bay every chance he gets during striper season. In the fall, the prime time for striper fishing is at night and the prime place is around the bridge tunnels. This is a well know fact and on a warm fall night you can find many a boat lined up on both sides of the bridge, fishing live eels for stripers. Anyways, Bob has a small 16' center console, which takes a little bit of time to get out to the bridges. Since the fish bite on both the rising and falling tide, but not during slack tide, he usually just stays out all night. Plus it would be a waste of time to go back to the docks, only to turn back around to hit the next tide. This particualer night as slack tide approached, Bob moved his boat away from the bridge and anchored, to wait for the incoming tide. He had brought a friend from work along with him, but after a long day of work, a few beers and the fact that it was 4 AM, they soon were asleep. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to catch fish, they decided to leave their lines in the water. Suddenly they were startled from sleep by the sound of Bob's drag....Fish On!! This fish had to be a monster, he was really taking out the line and Bob could hardly gain on him. He would get him to the boat, only to have him pull out another 25 yards of line every time. Finally Bob managed to get the fish alongside the boat. When he reached down to net it, he found not a fish, but a five gallon bucket. At this point, his friend was rolling around in the bottom of the boat laughing. Apparently while Bob was sleeping, his friend tied the bucket to his line. Once the bucket caught the current, the fight was on.

Moral of the story: Never fall asleep while fishing!!

-Jim

My sister and I were fishing in this lil canal of simcoe.. where all the cottagers dock there boats.. Me being on one side of the canal her on the other side.. probably 30 ft apart. There was a guy just up the canal from my sister... he throws his line in the water with a huge bober on the end of it, smack in the middle of the canal and puts the rod down and runs into the bait store just behind where he was casting. Just after he gets in the door a small boats comes coasting around the corner, I start yelling to my sister to reel this guys line in... she cant quite hear me by this point.. an the boat runs over the bobber. I see the line start trailing the boat, so i start yelling to my sister to break the line.. by the time she knew what i was talkin about and grabbed the rod the 2 chinese fellows in the boats see whats happening an cut the engine and try untangling the line ..(still coasting) when the guy get teh line untangle the rope reaches its end and catches his finger... he starts screaming at my sister in chinese, she pops the drag , I'm laughing so hard at this point I'm no help to anyone.. they guy walks out of the store and my sister casually hands the rod to em.. smiles and walks away... boat.gif

Not fly fishing but about 2 weeks back I caught, in the mouth, a snapping turtle on a tube jig. Needless to say I promptly cut the line with my scissors, I was even going to get hemos close to that mouth! bugeyes.gif

I had just started flyfishing for salmon and I wasn't having much luck when I looked up river a saw something floating in the river. A minute later a flybox filled with stoneflies came right to me. Must be a sign from God. Tied one on but still didn't catch anything I guess that's what I get for not going to church.

Ken cool.gif