Fly Tying
Pike-Hunter

Nymphs For Smallies

I have never fished nymphs for smallies and I never really thought about it until I saw an article on it by Dave Whitlock. Is it very effective to try using nymphs for smallies in lakes (the article only talked about using them in streams)? Also does anybody know any good nymphs patterns for smallmouth?

Thanks,

--Chad

Chad, have you seen dragonflies flying about your lake? I'll guess the answer is yes. Dragonfly nymphs are long and slender, they are burrowers and good swimmers.

There are some really effective dragonfly nymph patterns, some very realistic. Here's a couple versions of Rosboroughs Casual Dress Nymph:

it's more impressionistic.

flies031.jpg

flies041.jpg

If you want to tie this fly the patterns and ingredients are listed in the database here on flytying.com

HTH, Tight lines! Dave

I had some pretty good success with a pattern called Marabou Damsel Nymph for bass last season, which may be of interest. Very easy to tie. If interested check out Marabou Damsel Nymph

There's also a dragon fly version. As Dave mentioned dragon flies are also a good choice.

Mike

I've never fished a lake for Smallmouths, but have caught them numerous times on nymphs, even down to size 12 while fishing for trout. They're opportunists, and will eat nymphs when they can find them.

I've had the most success on larger size nymphs, size 6 up to a size 2. I haven't found that the pattern is all that important. I've used various stonefly nymphs, bitch creeks, casual dress, and marabou dragons & damsel patterns, and they all work. Although I have had the most success on black or olive patterns, but that may be because I use them the most.

It don't hurt to have a few in your fly boxes, that's for sure!

On occasion, up here in New England, I do use nymphs for smallies. I do tie them on the bigger side. Woolhead and Deer hair dragonfly muddlers in size 6, and 4, Damsel Fly nymph imataions in size 6 hooks and Whitlock Red squirrel nymphs up to size 2 and the clouser swimming nymph.

I think I posted this once already but size 12 and 14 prince nymphs in the slow water sections of big rivers. No giants but crawling them along the bottom very slowly saves days when streamers aren't working.

IMGP1242.JPG

Thank Guys,

Looks like I have some flies to tie before we head up to the BWCAW. I also found out another good pattern from one of my dad friends that should work well in the Boundary Waters since pink has been the hot color the last couple of years. The pattern is just a Whitlock Squirrel Nymph but tied with Pink Hares ear Dubbing instead of squirrel and some crystal flash for the tail and rib (I substituted copper wire for the rib).

PinkSquirrel.jpg

Thanks,

--Chad

nymph for the smallies quiet a bit....a favorite here on the smaller streams in KY is the Squirrell Nymph, and very simple generic nynph called a "Creeker" A Creeker has a tuft of rabbit for a tail, an ostrich herl body, a gold or glass bead, and no hackle. Tied in sizes 10-6 on 2x shank hooks...imitates a little bit of everything that crawls and drifts...color variations limited only by your own imagination. (Dragon fly nymphs can also be very productive in lakes here in Ky)...I fish it in the spring (May -mid June) and have taken countless 2lb + fish drifting it through riffles and deep runs....have used the same pattern to take smallies when they are stacked up over rocks in 2-8 ft of water in Lake Cumberland, especially in the mouths of feeder creeks...nymphing for the smallies is alot like still water nynphing for trout...find out what is in your local waters and match your patterns to the local food chain

Someone dummped smallmouth in one of our quality trout lakes around here. We caught smallmouth on anything we were throwing at trout, chironomids, mayfly nymphs, damsel nymphs, dragon nymphs, and of course the best nymph, a wooly bugger.

Bass are not picky eaters, they will hit anything that looks like food.

Dragon fly nymphs can also be very productive in lakes\

+1

At times, it seems like this is all that works for lake Smallmouth. Here is the pattern I use the most. It is really a bluegill fly, but I tie them on 6-4 size hooks to keep the little gills of them. The original pattern also calls for rabbit but I sub marabou, for more action and rabbit fur is hard to find in the length needed to tie on a size 6-4. As seen, I tie them in a variety of colors.

For tying instructions go here: http://warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=11

DSCF0781.jpg

DSCF0782.jpg