Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have seven or eight vises, just got a Summerfield traveller.

I have used this for a couple of months and have found it excellent. no faults found so far. I have used none of my old vises since getting this.

I tie with one from sports authority that cost me about 25 dollars US. it can be alittle frustrating and clumsy at times i say if you have the money buy one of the better quality ones. i plan on retiring mine to being a field tying vise in the near future. i dont remember the brand but it looks something similar to a super vise II

i have been tying on a Regal vise for 15 years now. It may not be the most high tech vise around. Mine doesn't even have a rotary feature, but it is bullet proof. I tie flies mostly in the #12 through #24's and have tied my share at #28's. I think the Regal is a brute. I do wish it had smaller midge type jaws sometimes but find it suits my tying style perfectly.

If I ever find the need to add a second vise to my collection, it will probably be one that I turn myself on a lathe and mill. I think the only trouble there is getting the jaws hardened. But machining a vise from scratch has an appeal to me...

Philski

I have been tying for 7 months now WOW. My girlfriend bought me a renzetti cam traveler. Works fine for me but I have no experience with any others. Just felt like posting lol

I use one similsr to the super aa vise. it works ok but would like to get a better one.

I've seen some of the rotary vise knockoffs on ebay. Any one used any of them?

The prices are good usually go between 40 and 80 dollars US.

A transplanted Texan stationed with the US Navy in Oak Harbor WA.

I started with a Thompson A about 25 years ago. I didn't tie that many flies, mainly wooly buggers for pan fish. I recently bought a Danvise for saltwater flies. I have really enjoyed this rotary vice. I have tied many saltwater patterns and it works great and cheap at $79.

I mostly steal my fathers "Valle Vice" but my own is an Indan Regent Vice. The Valle Vice is the best vice I know.

QUOTE (Philly @ Jul 27 2004, 12:47 PM)
I've been using a Danvise, for the last 7 years or so. Reasonably priced, around $80. It's a true rotary, and I've tied flies on ranging from size 32 up to 5/0. Not very pretty, but it does it's job.

Is this the same as the ones on ebay like in this link???

I got a renzetti cam travler for my birthday 2 months ago. I got to admit that before I used whatever vice came in my flytying kit from when I was 12. Now my friends say they can see the quality of the new vice in my flys.

I have a Renzetti traveller I take out with me, as my "mobile unit."

My other vise is a Griffin Mongoose, and Jim at Stockard just got for me a new set of cam jaws. Now I reckon it has to be the best setup in teh world, I just love to use it. It is nice and solid, well engineered, looks nice,works great, man it is just nice all round.

OK, so here's a dumb question:

When do you use the rotary on a rotary vice? I've had a Renzetti Traveler for the past 5 years, and I think it's pretty good, but I still haven't figured out the rotary. dunno.gif

The part that I can't get is how do you keep the tying thread from going haywire when you rotate the fly.

I've since lost the bobbin cradle, do you need that to make the rotary action work? help.gif

Thanks

--Mike

QUOTE (rybolov @ Jul 24 2005, 06:56 PM)
OK, so here's a dumb question:

When do you use the rotary on a rotary vice? I've had a Renzetti Traveler for the past 5 years, and I think it's pretty good, but I still haven't figured out the rotary. dunno.gif

The part that I can't get is how do you keep the tying thread from going haywire when you rotate the fly.

I've since lost the bobbin cradle, do you need that to make the rotary action work? help.gif

Thanks
--Mike

I use my rotary whenever I am doing anything that has to be wound onto the hook. I don't even use the bobbin holder since I never have figured it out. I also use the rotary action when I am getting done with flys so I can get a look from all angles and check to make sure everything is right.

i own two dan vise, it's all i tie on and i use them because they work. it's what i learned to tie on so i'm comfortable using it.

Bud

I use a Griffin Odyssey Spider Plus. It has been discontinued by the company, but I find it to be a pretty functional unit.

On the plus side:

1. It is "big" with plenty of height and manuevering room.
  2. It's a true rotary vise.
  3. It's fine jaws actually hold everything from size 24 to 5/0 securely.
  4. The bobbin cradle, and most components are easily adjustable.
  5. It came with this handy little reel/line winder (I thought this last feature a little gimmicky, but I've actually used it quite a bit).

On the negative side:

1. It is "big" and as such doesn't feel as solid as the more compact models
  2. Tension adjustment for the rotary function sucks. I had to slip a lock washer in the works to prevent the tension knob from slipping.
  3. After four years the jaw tips are starting to get a bit rough.
  4. Some of the plastic components (mostly screw covers) have cracked.

Final assessment 6.5 out of 10.