Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still using a fairly basic Thompson vise on a base, but upgrading real soon....probably to a Peak, the way suggestions are going, but have not ruled out the Montana Mongoose or Dynaking Barracuda yet.

A pic of my current vise on a BigFoot base.

TyingVise003.jpg

I use DYNA-KING Barracuda Deluxe, the Barracuda Jr. for travel, and the Professional for big flies.

I think they are the best made vice in the world and they work the best for me.

TyingVise003.jpg

This looks like it was designed by M.C. Escher! I see the bobbin rest is attached to the vise stem, but somehow to the two legs on the back of the base, too...

Am I missing something here? :unsure:

I received a "Cabella's Kit" with a very inexpensive vise in the kit. My son bought the kit for $5.00 at a garage sale. So it was a god deal! After tying a few flies, I decided to upgrade, after much research, I decided to purchase the "PEAK" Rotary vise. Price was the biggest reason, and looks, it appears to be made quite well. I tie mostly saltwater fly's a #1 and the Peak does a good job! I still make rookie mistakes but have improved quite a lot, since I got the Peak

Many years ago in college, I bought a kit that contained a Thompson model A. Used this through college. Life got in the way and I quit tying. About 15 years ago I started again. Still using the Model A. Ten or twelve years ago, I bought a Renzetti Traveler and haven't looked back. Love my Renzetti.

TyingVise003.jpg

This looks like it was designed by M.C. Escher! I see the bobbin rest is attached to the vise stem, but somehow to the two legs on the back of the base, too...

Am I missing something here? :unsure:

You are...the two legs on the back of the base are not attached to the rest at all(just the angle of the photo)...they are for holding thread spools.

I started on a cheapo zephyr that the jaws flared out in a month. Then my dad sent my son and I new vises for x-mas. My son Collin got a kit from Cabela's that is okay for a 7 year old, and I got a Griffin Odyssey. Which my only problem with is that the bobbin cradle is to close to the jaws for me so I don't use it. Otherwise I really like it.

I've only been tying a couple of years. Used a cheap vise I got off ebay with a bunch of materials. Broke the pin that worked cam so I have been using a nail.

So I decided to get a new one. Looked at several, read reviews and wanted to get a Norvice, but the boss didn't approve the investment. Bought a ZepherEZ Rotory ($49.00) and for the price I am very happy. Does everything I want it do.

Still want a Norvice saving my pennies maybe next year.

I have been using the Danvise for a bit now. It works fairly well, except the jaws are starting to break down already (after about a year). I just purchased the Regal revolution and I am looking forward to giving it a workout and a review. If I were going to do it all over again, I would have gone big the first vise.

Hi all,

I am currently using the Danvise Rotary Vise.

Next time i will buy the Mastervise from Marc Petitjan Swisserland

http://www.petitjean.com/shop/en/fly-tying-vise/master-version.html

That´s the most perfekt Vise i have ever seen.

Only the very high price is a drawback.

SY

Like so many other posters to this thread, I started fly-tying a couple of years ago using a kit. Worked great for a few months but slipping hooks and breaking plastic parts made things frustrating to say the least. Did some research on this forum and on some other web sites. Many thanks to Joe Cornwall over at the "Fly Fish Ohio" website for his informative review of fly tying vises: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm

Long story short, I purchased the Peak rotary vise and have been very satisfied with it. At the time I'm was researching vises, the Peak met the requirements I needed in a vise; solid construction and reasonable pricing. Since I tie enough flies to fill my fly boxes and to give some away to friends and for fly plates, this vise really does the trick for me.