Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use a LAW vise built by hand and designed by Lawrence Waldren from England.

It is truly the best vise out there!!! there is nothing comes close to it and beleive me i have had a few high end vises.

Many of the worlds top tyers(i am not one of them by any means) are using this vise now and although the expense seems a lot at the time it is a wise investment.

I will never look at any other vise out there as long as these Law vises are available.PeatyMan is also an avid fan and Oliver Edwards has used his for as long as i can remember. Definetely have a look at one the next time you are at a major show.

let's see...I started on a thompson a. soon upgraded to a renzetti traveler, which remains my first string vise. I put the thompson up at work where it disappeared over the summer. I picked up a dynaking king fisher as a travel vise and it works well for that purpose. I had exactly enough Christmas gift cash to pick up a peak, which I like so far, but I've only tied a couple dozen flies on it. someone metioned that the renzetti traveler fit their hand, which I've also found to be true.

mgj

I use a Dyna King Kingfisher and have been very happy with it. I would eventually like to upgrade to the Baracuda. I got the chance to tie on one a few weeks ago and really liked it. biggrin.gif

I use the Danvise. It's a nice little vice with an indexor function that comes in handy if you tie epoxy flies. I've tied from 22 thru 3/0 saltwater hooks and it does the trick. Not a bad price either, about $80.

-MuskyOnTheFly

Iuse an integra, used my thompson for years, I started with a little home made my grandfather made for me back in 1956 he did not use a vice tie by hand cheers MIKE

Well, they say necessity is the mother of invention and so I started using one of the clamps on my tennis racquet stringing machine. When I graduated to a used Thompson, I thought I was in heaven. Now with an HMH Spartan, I look back and grin.

QUOTE (mgj @ Jan 19 2005, 02:45 PM)
let's see...I started on a thompson a. soon upgraded to a renzetti traveler, which remains my first string vise.

ditto

cheers.gif

My vice is an integra worked ok for a while but the jaws are all beat up on them. Found a vice I liked for 30 bucks, holds down to a 22, for my experience I cant see buying an expensive vice. If I figure out that I just suck at it I can buy my flies, so I guess I would rather buy a new rod or reel instead.

I have the Dyna-King Kingfisher and the Voyager 2. I started off with a kit vise and moved "up" to a Thompson. I really like both the Dyna-King models.

Mike

i still use a thompson model A, chipped jaws and all. hope to upgrade or fabricate my own soon. I think that would be fun

Joe

I use a Regal with the brass base. I really like the way it holds a hook. I have never had any problems with mine. Although I have heard that if you do not get the hook deep enough in the jaws, there is a possibility of the jaws chipping. I have both the standard and midge jaws for mine. I use the midge jaws 99% of the time.

So I went today to get a Dynaking Barracuda Jr. as an upgrade from a $20 special. Unfortunately, the evil store manager showed me an Abel. Unbelievable piece of machinery, unbelievable drop in my bank account.

Mind you I still bristle at the markup on chenille and I'll still buy from craft stores!!!

For the last 13 years I have tied on a Renzetti Traveller. The one I now have is the cam version and I really like it (my first one got destroyed on a Ryan Air flight). I also own a LAW vice, which is sensational piece of engineering and a superb vice to tie on...still I tie most of my flies on the Traveller as it suits my tying techniques (I love rotary tying) I have tied flies on hooks as large as 9/0 (tied another Nelly Bly yesterday and I am out of 8/0) and as small as 28... but mostly tie trout flies in the 22 to 10 sizes while my classic salmon tying is on hooks up to 9/0. No slippage either. I'm a happy camper.

Pedro (aka Peter Dunne)