Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All

I have been using a Dyna-King Professional since they came out. I also have the midge jaws. With my 2 sets of jawsI have tied many, many, flies from 3/0 saltwatwer (the largest I use) down to a 30 (just to see if I could) the smallest I have ever fished has been a 24.

I also tie using a 720 Vise that I like extremely well for sizes 14 to 22. This is a well made vice and has many useful features.

I'm more or less a newbie, and I haven't been tying long enough to be willing to spend $200+ on a vise. Originally I was tying on a piece of junk that came from a Wapsi kit. It never held hooks very well, and whether I was tying a size 12 scud or nymph(smallest I could tie at the time) or a size 2 bass fly, the hook would always be slipping. I eventually started looking for a new vise, and since I live near where Griffin is based, and all my local fly shops carry them, I decided to get a Griffin. Originally I was going to get a $50ish vise, because I didn't think it was worth getting a more expensive one. When I walked into my favorite shop one day to look for material and vises, on of the employees sold me on the Montana Pro. I walked out of the shop with it that day, and a few weeks later, I am really seeing a difference in the quality of both my flies and my experience tying them. Everything is better. It is a nice vice overall, and there is not much to criticize from what I know about vises. Compared to my old vise, the jaws are super efficient, and it is simple to adjust them. The hook almost never slips no matter what size it is. My main criticism is that the jaws can't rotate at all. I don't need a full rotary that is used for wrapping things, but I like to see the far side of my fly on some occasions. Also the clamp doesn't hold to well, but my table/desk isn't to good either. For someone looking to start tying, this would be a great vise.

P.S. Sorry my post is so long, I was trying to be thorough, but maybe I was a little extreme.

I don’t actually use any vise as I have NEVER done ANY tying in my life. But I am training to be an engineer and for my end of college project I was set the task of producing something for my presentation. After some persuasion from an instructor at my college i decided on making a fly tying vise, its finished now and just wanted to get some feedback from “the people in the know” about it, cheers.

- I have engraved a fish scale pattern on one side of the post and on the top of the base, on the other side of the post is a Double hook pattern and in one of the pockets in the base is a bass i drew using a computer system called CAD.

post-34707-0-54300300-1311750955_thumb.jpg

post-34707-0-09102900-1311751079_thumb.jpg

post-34707-0-31574400-1311751107_thumb.jpg

post-34707-0-02650500-1311751131_thumb.jpg

post-34707-0-97952900-1311751172_thumb.jpg

I started with a tompson mdl A in the early 80s then moved up to a regal and i like it fine and cant see ever needing a diffrent vise.

I still use the tompson once in awhile.

Steve

I don't actually use any vise as I have NEVER done ANY tying in my life. But I am training to be an engineer and for my end of college project I was set the task of producing something for my presentation. After some persuasion from an instructor at my college i decided on making a fly tying vise, its finished now and just wanted to get some feedback from "the people in the know" about it, cheers.

- I have engraved a fish scale pattern on one side of the post and on the top of the base, on the other side of the post is a Double hook pattern and in one of the pockets in the base is a bass i drew using a computer system called CAD.

Well done. The only thing I'd change is the jaw locking method. Using an allen wrench on a cap screw might get old after a while - but I'd still give you an A.

I don't actually use any vise as I have NEVER done ANY tying in my life. But I am training to be an engineer and for my end of college project I was set the task of producing something for my presentation. After some persuasion from an instructor at my college i decided on making a fly tying vise, its finished now and just wanted to get some feedback from "the people in the know" about it, cheers.

Well done. The only thing I'd change is the jaw locking method. Using an allen wrench on a cap screw might get old after a while - but I'd still give you an A.

yeah I see what you mean but it was my instructor that wanted it that way so that's what he got :)

I've been using a Peak Rotary vise now for about 6 months. It beats the heck out of the cheapo Bass Pro Shops model that came with the took kit I bought from them a few years ago. While I don't use the rotary function (except to look at the flies I've tied from different angles or make sure head cement is applied correctly when needed), I cannot say enough good things about the vise. The price is good, and the jaws hold well. What else could you ask for in a vise?

I don’t actually use any vise as I have NEVER done ANY tying in my life. But I am training to be an engineer and for my end of college project I was set the task of producing something for my presentation. After some persuasion from an instructor at my college i decided on making a fly tying vise, its finished now and just wanted to get some feedback from “the people in the know” about it, cheers.

Nice work, ... Being a retired machine design engineer, I'm inspired. I haven't been tying long and am still using the vise out of a kit because I needed to see if I'd take to fly tying first.. well.. IT TOOK!. The kit unit holds the hook well enough at this point, but it "did not" rotate. At first I attatched a good mirror to the unit so I could see behind it... well that was a joke of an idea, ... so I then made a change, and it now rotates (see pic). I then polished the jaw taper, the socket, and the cam portion of the clamp. The polishing made a huge difference. But now I see me adapting a few of your ideas! I like the wishbone trunion for height adjustment but doubt I will add that feature. However, I am impresseed with your clamp and can see me doing that from piece of A2, heat treated to around 55 RC. Yes, you get it. See? ... I too, am one of those haunted (or blessed) with that "do it yourself" drive. Yeah, I could buy one, but for the same reason we tie flys, I would much rather make my own! I am lucky to have enough equipment to make just about anything (if small enough) in my little shop. . .. but.. the point is.. Nice job!! on the tie vise. ..AND ... I "DO" like the allen wrench clamp!

My rotation was accomplished with a stripper bolt through a block of 3/4" square stock with a .500 hole one way and a 5/16" (with an Allen set screw) the other to accomodate the kit's post. The post was sawed off and the short piece was brazed to a nut. There are two black (plastic) split bushings between the block and the stripper bolt head and the nut with the short section of post (holding the clamp) providing friction. The other nut is a jamb nut. I can rotate the vise by simply twisting the head of the stripper bolt with my fingers.

post-34916-0-62874700-1312901027_thumb.jpg

I use for a long time already on trips for linkage of Rentsetti Trevel and house at me there are Norvize with transformations.

To me Rentsetti approach from for their ease of simplicity and reliability.

I am sorry for my bad English.

I am using a danvise and it works great for most of my tying. I will say that I don't like it for tying inverted hook flies when the hook is clamped in the normal point down position. (clouser)...it is cumbersome to get to the bottom of the hook when the clamp is turned upside down so the materials can be tied to the hook side of the fly. It is much easier to actually unclamp the hook and re-clamp the hook in an upside down position.

I started on a cheap Hearters Thompson A knockoff piece of crap. I graduated to a small vise grip welded to a steel rod that fit the 'C' clamp of the Hearter's vise. I used that for years until I broke down and bought my current Danvise. I still keep my vise grip vise in case I need it to tie some big flies and/or big hair bugs that require some serious thread preasure.

I use a HMH Spartan Vise. It is a great vise. Not only is their vise good but the customer service is fantastic. I recently messed up the vise by trying to put too big of a hook in the jaws. I heard a pop noise and stopped. I contacted them and they talked with me to see if i could fix it. But then they told me to just send it in. It cost me $3 to send it to them. They received it Yesterday, then then fixed it and polished and sent it out today. All it cost me was the price to send it there.