Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Arkansas Mike

Stupid Mistakes--Fly Tying Version

I saw a post over on TalkFlyFishing about stupid mistakes people make while fishing and thought I'd share a couple of stupid mistakes I've made while fly tying. To be fair, one or more happened when I first started out, before I'd read any books on tying or anything.

* I once tied a scud and didn't realize until after I'd whip-finished and snipped the thread that I'd left out the shellback.

*On my first fly in which I used monofiliment eyes, I caught the fly on fire trying to burn the mono, after I'd mounted it.

*For the first couple of weeks of my tying, I used Metz Hen hackle...for everything. Dry flies as well as wet flies and nymphs.

*Repeatedly snipped off the working end of my thread half-way through the fly. (Still do this on occasion).

*Constantly used enough dubbing for 3 flies on 1.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one that makes stupid mistakes while tying. :rolleyes:

I saw a post over on TalkFlyFishing about stupid mistakes people make while fishing and thought I'd share a couple of stupid mistakes I've made while fly tying. To be fair, one or more happened when I first started out, before I'd read any books on tying or anything.

* I once tied a scud and didn't realize until after I'd whip-finished and snipped the thread that I'd left out the shellback.

*On my first fly in which I used monofiliment eyes, I caught the fly on fire trying to burn the mono, after I'd mounted it.

*For the first couple of weeks of my tying, I used Metz Hen hackle...for everything. Dry flies as well as wet flies and nymphs.

*Repeatedly snipped off the working end of my thread half-way through the fly. (Still do this on occasion).

Hopefully, I'm not the only one that makes stupid mistakes while tying. :rolleyes:

I still do 4 and 5 from your list on occasion. I recently did a crawfish using foam for the shell and realized I forgot the ribbing to secure and segment it after I finished it. Duh.

That is all part of the learning process.

P.S Even though I haven't set a fly on fire :blink: :lol2: , I have done pretty much everything on that list. :D

I actually use a lighter to singe off stray hackles, hairs, or thread and havent burnned off too much since i learned to keep my fingers over what i don't want burned off. But i have been known to burn one to the hook when i realy didn't like how it turned out.

I don't understand how or why when i am tying a group of the same fly that i manage to forget key materials/parts, like the legs off a hopper or wings in a misquito, or even the tail on anything... I guess age is catching up???

But what keeps catching me is forgetting to hold on to the spool of my auto-bobbin when i cut the thread...that gets annoying.

Or just plain forgetting that there is a hook with a point under there while pushing materials back and impailing a finger or thumb...now that's dumb.

I once tied a fly in which everything was backwards - the back was the front and the front was the back. Made the whip finish very interesting. I just wasn't thinking when I started.

After finishing a fly and applying head cement, I decided that a couple of errant hackles needed to go away and I used my cauterizer - instant fire and nothing left but some charred feather and thread on a hook.

Too many others to mention.

TxEngr

I once made the mistake of wanting to learn how to tie flies. Now I am 1000's of $$$ invested. What a hobby!!!!! The end

I didn't know hook sizing when I tied my first fly. I tied a nymph that was supposed to be #12 on a #2. I also did not have tying lead, so I added a few turns of lead solder. Casted like a stone. It was also the first fly I caught a fish on (a sucker).

I actually use a lighter to singe off stray hackles, hairs, or thread and havent burnned off too much since i learned to keep my fingers over what i don't want burned off. But i have been known to burn one to the hook when i realy didn't like how it turned out.

I don't understand how or why when i am tying a group of the same fly that i manage to forget key materials/parts, like the legs off a hopper or wings in a misquito, or even the tail on anything... I guess age is catching up???

But what keeps catching me is forgetting to hold on to the spool of my auto-bobbin when i cut the thread...that gets annoying.

Or just plain forgetting that there is a hook with a point under there while pushing materials back and impailing a finger or thumb...now that's dumb.

I was tying flies once while my boyfriend was barbecuing a brisket out on the back porch. I use a cautery tool to reclaim hooks and I decided to go through my whole batch of bad flies and burn all of them. Pretty soon, my boyfriend jumps up, says "something doesn't smell right out there!" and ran out to the barbecue to see what he was burning. I had to run after him to explain that it was me!

I used to forget to hold the spool on the auto bobbin, but now I hold it by the thread in my left hand when cutting, then hang it up in the bobbin rack (the round spring kind).

I can remember trying to adjust a bunch of dry flies in a box with forceps only to realize I had scissors in my hand and was cutting all the flies to pieces.

I once made the mistake of wanting to learn how to tie flies. Now I am 1000's of $$$ invested. What a hobby!!!!! The end

:hyst: :hyst: I couldn't agree more. Just when my wife thought I was overly obsessed with fishing, I took up this hobby and my obsession (and expenses) reached a whole new level.

P.S Even though I haven't set a fly on fire :blink: :lol2: , I have done pretty much everything on that list. :D

Crap! I finally have set a fly on fire! But I was able to blow it out before it crisped the fly. It was an SJ Worm.

(actually now I am a professional fly-tier because I set a fly on fire) :lol:

Those are mistakes? I thought that was part of the fun. Getting married? now thats a mistake.