Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flydude

Weird fishing spots

Hey everybody does anyone have weird fishing spots. I have one thats a couple of miles from my house. It is a pond in the middle of a golf course. Has largemouth, panfish, bluegill all sorts and the golfers dont even care that i fish there they always ask me how im doing and how many i have caught there never negative. So tell me if you got any weird fishing spots. Roby

I fish a lot of ponds but have never fished a golf course pond....mostly for fear of being thrown out. Someday.

I have fished the trash ponds behind Wal-Mart, a drainage ditch near a town brush dump, other run off ponds for retail businesses. I've casted in the yard, and a year or two ago took my fly rod to my sons soccer game to practice double hauling while he practiced before his game. I've fished a pond at a local college. basically, if it looks mostly public I'll fish it....private like a golf course....then i'm a little more reluctant.

I have other plans to cast (not necessarily fish) in some weird places, but I'll save those reports for after they happen.

Usually no one fishes golf courses so the fish are huge, i fish at golf coarses, my moms goldfish pond, i have tried unsuccesfully to go out on limbs to fish in deeper water

Hey everybody does anyone have weird fishing spots. I have one thats a couple of miles from my house. It is a pond in the middle of a golf course. Has largemouth, panfish, bluegill all sorts and the golfers dont even care that i fish there they always ask me how im doing and how many i have caught there never negative. So tell me if you got any weird fishing spots. Roby

I too fished golf course ponds when I was younger in Florida. A particularly good pond was at the University of South Florida. The first time or two some of the golfers were a little grumpy, however when I would wade out of the pond open my sweat pants and drop 50-60 golf balls out for them, they always changed their tunes. Wading barefoot in the ponds is a great way to find the lost balls, then just drop them down your sweat pants and continue on till someone said something. The only continuing problem I encountered was the frickin' gators. They had all been fed handouts so much they expected them from me. The little guys you could smack on the snout or peg in the head with a ball and they'd usually leave ya alone. The mommas and poppas would chase ya outta the water and across the fairway...Ahhhhh the memories!

:rolleyes:

behind circle k there is a 30 foot wide drainage ditch that empties into the intercoastal water way. Snook would hide under the overpass and nearly every first cast produced a fish. Or when I was boat poor we would have to wade 2 miles in 2 to 4 foot water to get to the 30 foot hole that not too many people new about and just slay the redfish and sheepshead. Spinning rods of course cause you were allready wore out befor you even started fishing. On the way to the hole we would climb through the mangroves and catch 6 or 7 dozen soft shelled tree crabs. There was no better bait than that. Anyways thanks for bringing back the memories. Forgot how much fun I used to have.

I've fished in some very polluted waters, or at least ones that have a reputation of being polluted. I always catch nice fish, I just don't lick my lips clean or touch my eyes. Noone else is fishing it and I usually have it all to myself.

Joshua

Not sure if it's technically fishing, but Ive caught my chichlid out of my aquarium a few times while checking how flies look underwater. I've also fished for carp right across the street from a lead smelter on many occasions. Usually someone walks over and tells me I'd be smart not to eat anything I caught.

Cheers,

Mike

Old borrow pit along side the interstate from when they built it, now is the pond for the local waterski club. Just started, but supposedly nice gills and smallies.

Deeky

i want to go to minkler lake along side the highway roby, i also want to check out the place in lyman that my dad caught fish after fish at

Loren

In high school I used to work at a golf course in Miami. Everyday I would strap a rod into a cart where the golf bags normally go and drive from pond to pond. The bass were huge, several close to 10 lbs. I got one lunker that my buddy was able to stick both of his fists in the fish's mouth and another that reached the third ring on the shaft of a 7 iron (didn't have a ruler). Unfortunately, I didn't flyfish then so I missed out on that opportunity, especially since one of the lakes also had several large carp. What I would give to be able t go back there with a flyrod.