Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

Purple Heart fly

I was just down at the bass pro shop this morning ( buying worms and powerbait) NOT!!!! Actually on the way home from taking my dogs to the dog park and needing some hooks. Out front I saw a big sign with a Purple heart on it where the sign read Purple Heart Anglers. I then ran into a guy who is running the program, Randy Houston. It's not a strictly fly fishing program, but it is cool in the fact that it helps vets get out on the water. We struck up a conversation about helping vets as I am training on the evergreen hand so as to take it to veterans at the hospital being built here in central California. He shot the idea to me of tying a "Purple Heart " fly to be tied as a lapel pin and given to the vets upon completion of a day on the water, fly fishing or not. We came to the conclusion that a nicely tiyed fly would be a great remebrance of the day. when I got home I did an internet search but couldn't find an "official" purple heart fly out there. Does one exist? If it doesn't i am thinkin we might hold a fly tying contest similar to the FTF tyer of the year gig but do it for a pattern that can be used to tye by anyone and presented to veterans after they have participated in any number of great fishing events here in the US when they get back from a fishing excursion. Give me some feed back ladies and gents! let's see what we can come up with here. I think it's the least we as tyers can do for these people.

Love the idea Ross!!!!!!!

I would think it shouldnt be something too complicated, although i could envision many great classic patterns adapted to be likely the most aesthetic. Something simple that could maybe catch on across the country with all levels of tyers.

And God forbid I say it but maybe a fly for a more democratic fish than the trout. Something any returning vet could get out a catch a fish. maybe even with a injury. What fish can anyone most easily catch.?What fish is generally more democratic (and prolific) than the humble gill. Im already thinking that the theme would fit nicely into a great blue gill pattern.

There has got to be plenty of enthusiasm out there to support our fighting boys and girls. Im going to start tying some prototypes this weekend and keep thinking how to make this work.

Thanks Ridley!

Lets keep in mind that the idea is to create a fly using the colors of the purple heart and that it be tied so as to be as a hat or lapel pin. I gotta email the guy this evening to see what he has in mind. but please by all means tye away! I don't think there is anything wrong with any of your ideas Ridley! right on!

Hi Ross, very interesting idea, I am thinking classic melded wing wet, red white and blue wing, gold tinsel with oval gold tinsel rib, Purple tail and an eye of purple feather cut into a heart shape as Claudia demonstrated in Fred's one feather competition last year. Gold Hook.

Just a thought. I unfortunately do not know when I can prototype one this week, I will be on the road.

Cheers, Jeff.

ok is it sopose to be a easy tie that can be tied up by anyone or is it going to be made in to a metal pin??

Yo freak, did the gent in charge give you a deadline? I think if you let some of the really talented tiers here (of which I am, alas, not a member) take their time and stew over this...you WILL get a remarkable selection! So in the immortal words of "the weasel" Pauly Shore....."Chill dude" ...It will come ;) :punk: ;)

Really nice gesture FTF. There was a couple of swaps on here; it's flies tied on safety pins, much safer on the lapel than a 2/0 hook. Hope it works out for you. I really Bruces fly with the bead on the point. If you could incorporate a saftey pin in the back of the fly it would work out great. Bentflyrod did one like that with the safety pin swap.

Really nice gesture FTF. There was a couple of swaps on here; it's flies tied on safety pins, much safer on the lapel than a 2/0 hook. Hope it works out for you. I really Bruces fly with the bead on the point. If you could incorporate a saftey pin in the back of the fly it would work out great. Bentflyrod did one like that with the safety pin swap.

Yeah this IS a Broach pin fly(you can't see the pin) But this is an example to inspire, I don't think I'm interested in tying a bunch of these, just trying to get it started, besides its too gay for most guys :blink: More like a lady's Broach Pin

post-4571-1248215481_thumb.jpg

1 of 3 i have done i tied 2 this weekend 1 dee wing and 1 delta wing when i receive the pic. i will post them these are all red white and blue. What colors are on the purple heart besides the obvious

Rocky

post-22268-1248221377.jpg