Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

Purple Heart fly

there is a very little red and white on it too. on the pic i saw of it.

just google it.

Really nice gesture FTF. There was a couple of swaps on here; it's flies tied on safety pins, much safer on the lapel than a 2/0 hook. Hope it works out for you. I really Bruces fly with the bead on the point. If you could incorporate a saftey pin in the back of the fly it would work out great. Bentflyrod did one like that with the safety pin swap.

Yeah this IS a Broach pin fly(you can't see the pin) But this is an example to inspire, I don't think I'm interested in tying a bunch of these, just trying to get it started, besides its too gay for most guys :blink: More like a lady's Broach Pin

Bruce, Sorry for not being able to see the pin. It's probably as masculine as you can make a purple fly. Not bad for being the only purple fly you had.

Ian

I was just down at the bass pro shop this morning ( buying worms and powerbait) NOT!!!! Actually on the way home from taking my dogs to the dog park and needing some hooks. Out front I saw a big sign with a Purple heart on it where the sign read Purple Heart Anglers. I then ran into a guy who is running the program, Randy Houston. It's not a strictly fly fishing program, but it is cool in the fact that it helps vets get out on the water. We struck up a conversation about helping vets as I am training on the evergreen hand so as to take it to veterans at the hospital being built here in central California. He shot the idea to me of tying a "Purple Heart " fly to be tied as a lapel pin and given to the vets upon completion of a day on the water, fly fishing or not. We came to the conclusion that a nicely tiyed fly would be a great remebrance of the day. when I got home I did an internet search but couldn't find an "official" purple heart fly out there. Does one exist? If it doesn't i am thinkin we might hold a fly tying contest similar to the FTF tyer of the year gig but do it for a pattern that can be used to tye by anyone and presented to veterans after they have participated in any number of great fishing events here in the US when they get back from a fishing excursion. Give me some feed back ladies and gents! let's see what we can come up with here. I think it's the least we as tyers can do for these people.

Good afternoon

I was on the internet and saw your site

I'm Randy Houston

I'm amaized at the possibilities you are creating here. A Purple Heart Fly, The possibility of a contest.

Thank you

Randy Houston

President, Purple heart Anglers

Really nice gesture FTF. There was a couple of swaps on here; it's flies tied on safety pins, much safer on the lapel than a 2/0 hook. Hope it works out for you. I really Bruces fly with the bead on the point. If you could incorporate a saftey pin in the back of the fly it would work out great. Bentflyrod did one like that with the safety pin swap.

Yeah this IS a Broach pin fly(you can't see the pin) But this is an example to inspire, I don't think I'm interested in tying a bunch of these, just trying to get it started, besides its too gay for most guys :blink: More like a lady's Broach Pin

I have to disagree with you Bruce. I think your pin would look good on any fishing hat.

Great idea, Ross. Let me see what I can come up with...

Purple and gold??? Sounds like Big Dale Wilkinson's LSU Foam Popper - a purple and gold foam fly (I'll try to get ya' photo) or any version of the our locally favorite LSU Clouser would fit the bill!

GO Tigers!!

My purple heart fly. the body looks blue but it is a deep purple in real life. the wing slipped witch sucks the under wing is 2 JC eyes with a 3rd over for the 3 stars and the IC on the tail for the red in the medal hope you all like

Rocky

Crap i see CheyAnne is on

post-18848-1248465813_thumb.jpg

Bought some purple, tan, gunmetal cheniles last night at the orvis store. Been formulating my panfish purple heart in my head for a couple of day now.

today I raided the embroidery store at lunch. Asked them if I could look through their old "basement" inventory. Negotiated a good deal for a bag full of different materials. I got some really cool Red.white.blue metallic braid that might be a nice addition to what I was planning.

Will work on it this weekend. If i can get permission from the wurm lord. I havent started tying for the san juan wurm lovers swap yet.

Sweet fly rocky.

Purple Heart Fly

Hook - TMC Model 700/Size 6

Thread - Black 6/0 UNI-Thread

Tag - Small Gold Oval Tinsel

Tail - Water Silk (Red/White/Blue)

Body - Purple Medium Diameter Chenille

Collar - Gold Flashabou

Wing - Water Silk (Red/White/Blue)

post-4573-1248478008_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1248478024_thumb.jpg

Here is my first attempt. a little choppy as I had to use marabou stripped from some saddle hackles which was short so my body is a bit lumpy. The red and white is supposed to represent the chevrons. The beard really does match the other purple in the fly (at least to the eye).

post-18764-1248543954_thumb.jpg post-18764-1248543967_thumb.jpg

post-18764-1248543975_thumb.jpg

I will be working on my PHF when i return home.

But all the enters look great so far just hope I can get in there some where lol.

Chance