Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Horseshoes

Need immediate help,

What would be the best knot to tie my salmon flies? Should it be tight or looped for free movement? I need an answer by tonite. :help: I need all the help I can get to snag the biggy.

Looked at my flies. I got some beautiful flies from our swaps and I want to thank you, I'll have them with me.

Hopefully you used the wrong word: SNAG?? I think that is most likely but if not the best knot for a snagger to use would by a hangman's noose for every snagger's neck!!!!!!!!!

I prefer them tied tight since I 'm a lousy caster and its one less thing to get snarled up.... never noticed a difference from a catching ability perspective

Snag the biggy, we call that force feeding. The knot I use , for the most part is an improved clinch, but if you skate a fly a riffle hitch or some loop knot will impart more action

Good Day,

IMHO, it depends on what you are fishing with. For example, I would suggest using a loop knot for big flashy streamers with lots of movement. Everything else, improved clinch.

Steelie

Should of read this one sooner. Snagger eh? don't worry about the knot use 1/2 ounce egg sinker and tie 40+ triple claw hooks around it, find a pool, cast and drag. :j_k:

Canadians dont snag, do they? Say it isnt so. I thought that was reserved for the ugly sort that hit the Salmon River in NY

Canadians dont snag, do they? Say it isnt so. I thought that was reserved for the ugly sort that hit the Salmon River in NY

I haven’t seen too many Canadians keep improperly hooked fish. <-- politically correct term

I got the information from a friend who just came back from China, says that was a common practice for "fishing", I'll use that term loosely.

OK OK!!! Bad choice of words. I get home from vacation to read the snag chatter and now I'm not sure what I am being accused of. Geesh.... what do you.. never mind I do not want to know. Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the knots are the ignored minion. Don't even think of running me in over that word. Thanks.

OK OK!!! Bad choice of words. I get home from vacation to read the snag chatter and now I'm not sure what I am being accused of. Geesh.... what do you.. never mind I do not want to know. Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the knots are the ignored minion. Don't even think of running me in over that word. Thanks.

Horseshoes, I was pretty sure you just used a bad word. I just wanted to help clarify that for everyone so no one gets the wrong idea.

Hell I call my flys trout slayers and I have never taken any fish but flounder, fluke, sea bass and tog. And ok my first keeper striper.

We'll just have explain to our south of the border friends that here in the east "snagging" is slang for a totally legitimate hook up! :headbang:

How did the Margaree treat ya anyway? Snag any of the big fella's? :devil:

Good Day,

Thankfully, I did not think you were using the term "snag" in a perjorative manner. From Dictionary.com:

noun 1. a tree or part of a tree held fast in the bottom of a river, lake, etc., and forming an impediment or danger to navigation.

2. a short, projecting stump, as of a branch broken or cut off.

3. any sharp or rough projection.

4. a jagged hole, tear, pull, or run in a fabric, as caused by catching on a sharp projection.

5. any obstacle or impediment.

6. a stump of a tooth or a projecting tooth; snaggletooth.

–verb (used with object) 7. to run or catch up on a snag.

8. to damage by so doing.

9. to obstruct or impede, as a snag does: He snagged all my efforts.

10. to grab; seize: to snag the last piece of pie.

–verb (used without object) 11. to become entangled with some obstacle or hindrance.

12. to become tangled: This line snags every time I cast.

13. (of a boat) to strike a snag.

14. to form a snag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

1570–80; < ON snagi point, projection

Steelie