Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smalliestalker

clouser minnows

I came up wih a half and half pattern that resembles a shad coloring....it's made of bucktail, flash, and feathers.....large size weighted eyes painted red and black...I tie it on a size 2 streamer hook, 3x long.....there is a picture posted below....I went out today, despite the rain....I never changed flies.....I landed 31 smallies, 1 walleye....I missed 12 when going to lip them..... in 5 hours.....All with this one pattern....oh.....I bought a new kayak....everyone should try one of these...Freedom Hawk 14.....what a kayak.....it was made for the fly fisherman.....here's some pics....

post-22995-1254099036_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099114_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099131_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099139_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099148_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099155_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099167_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099181_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099190_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099203_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099213_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1254099222_thumb.jpg

some really nice looking fish. Should submit that fly to the database for sure :) looks a great pattern to try out.

Mike

Great looking fly. And wow great looking fish as well. I would like to get a list of materials to tie the fly. It would work great arround here on smallies and large mouths as well.

I like playing arround with diffrent materials when it comes to the clouser minnows. I will have to try and post some.

Keep them coming.

Chance

Great job on both the fly and the fish! Let's see a pic of your yak! I got a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 this year and absolutely love it!

Mike

:headbang:

I agree with you 'Bama (soon to be formerly of 'Bama)....I like a fuller profile with my Deep Clousers....I just weight it a bit heavier by wrapping the hook with lead wire up to the eyes. Great looking fish....show off! LOL!

yeah... I like bigger fuller minnows as well....especially this time of year...in the spring and summer I tie them a little smaller and thinner....I like the half and halfs....I always throw in some feathers on the bulkier patterns....

I have a 14 foot freedom hawk......so far ....it's amazing....it's a sit on top, so it's naturally a little more stable then a sit in....once the outriggers are deployed it's virtually untippable.....the greatest thing is sight fishing from a yak, I stand up and float down my favorite streams.....I thought I knew my stream until I stood and fished....all that I was missing....amazing....a double haul while sitting down is near impossible.....standing up allows it with ease.....it holds up to 400 lbs....so gear is not a problem....the push pole is great if you want to move without a wake.....the anchor boom with cleat right by the seat makes for simple deployment....the boat is 85 lbs, so it is a little heavy.....the pontoons come off for transport....it came with 2 flush mount rod holders, so I still have to rig up a fly rod holder....the boat doesn't track that well, there is no rudder.....but you get used to it.....a little wind and you do drift pretty easily....so I recommend a drift sock......the boat is expensive brand new....I got a demo, paid half price....but overall, just a little extra rigging, well worth the money....

To all those who INSIST clouser deep minnows MUST be tied sparsely- I say HA!!

My disclaimer to my comments is that there are no "musts" when it comes to tying flies.

However, the Clouser Deep Minnow is a specific pattern that is, in fact, tied sparsely. Many baitfish patterns have pirated the Clouser STYLE (dumbell eyes, hook point up) but that doesn't make them Clouser Deep Minnows any more than putting a kitten in the oven makes it a biscuit.

All that said, that's a terrific baitfish pattern with a great full profile, shad-like, that I will now add to my arsenal.

Nice fly, SS, and nice pics too. Looking forward to the tutorial.

Regards,

Streamer

talking about the clouser deep minnow. How many have tried using the popper hooks to tie them with the kink in the hook as opposed to using the straight shank hook style ?? Is there a real benefit to using a popper hook ??

Mike

I experimented with the popper hooks on a few Clousers, but couldn't see any real advantage over using the Mustad 3366 that Bob Clouser specifies. I've been using the Mustad 3366 for about 15 years with no complaints.

Here's a small fly I tie for crappies. I used a popper hook for this fly. The "notch" does cradle the eyes nicely and creates a very slim profile as you can see:

IMGP0808.jpg

Here's a Clouser Deep Minnow I tied on a Mustad 3366 hook...probably a size 4.

IMGP0469-1.jpg

Regards,

Streamer