Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bad fish rising

articulated connection problems

i just bought a video of articulated flies

i bought the 40lb .024 wire they called for

i bought #2 straight eye streamer hooks

heres the problem the wire wont double through the eye of the first hook the way its supposed to

what size wire are you guys using to connect your flies together with

and what name brand hook are you using that has a large enough eye to double the wire through

the video said any hook you choose and was making them all the way down to #8s but didnt say anything about changing the size of the wire

need your help putting together my double zoo cougars so i can catch the big one

I make articulated flies.....I use the same wire.....similar hooks...nothing fancy...I'm not sure what you mean by double through the first eye.....when I tie one...I tie the back section first.....tie down one end of the wire to the lead hook shank.....loop the tag end through the tailing hook eye...then tie that loose end back to the lead hook shank...I tie them one on top of each other so the tailing hook stays straight....hope that helps....

or try dacron [backing] tie two over-hand knot's before cutting to lengh then tie in tight --- it won't pull out & gives alot of movment and 60-80lb.test

i just bought a video of articulated flies

i bought the 40lb .024 wire they called for

i bought #2 straight eye streamer hooks

heres the problem the wire wont double through the eye of the first hook the way its supposed to

what size wire are you guys using to connect your flies together with

and what name brand hook are you using that has a large enough eye to double the wire through

the video said any hook you choose and was making them all the way down to #8s but didnt say anything about changing the size of the wire

need your help putting together my double zoo cougars so i can catch the big one

Is the trailing hook kind of kicking sideways on you?

I use the same technique as carlp. Spiderwire, Firewire, or similiar at 30# should be all you need and is thin enough to double through the eye if you feel that is necessary. I've heard too many stories of wire connections slipping on large Kings in Alaska, so I never have used it myself.

I use 25 pound mono. I know Mike Kinney uses %0 lbs dacron on his steelehad flies. I guess you could correct for alignment problems a little easier with a wire connection but I like to use mono.

Michaels or any other craft store sells a beading wire that works great! Sometime it is hard to fit a doubled over section through the hook eye but if you flatten it with some needle nose pliers it works great! There are different sizes so you can have as much or little movement as you'd like.

I use TMC 9394 size 4 for the rear hook and size 2 for the front hook. For the connection, .45mm beading wire from wal-mart. It comes on a 40ft spool, so it lasts. Thread one end through the rear hook. Thread 2 glass beads over both ends of the wire and tie onto the front hook. Make sure the look stay straight up.

Before you wrap to the eye push wire through the eye and wrap back to the tie in point.

good luck :blink:

the video is kelly galloups

he is threading the trailer fly on but then putting both wires down the front hook eye and bending them under the hook and secureing them so there will never be a pull out

i have used 30lb braid for along time but the loop doesnt stay open like wire therefore reduceing action

i just thought i might have the wrong hook but i just tryed a 1/0 tarpon hook and the 2 pieces of .24 would not go down the eye in that so im going to have to buy a much thinner wire i think

thanks for the feed back when i get it right i will post the hook and wire i finally use

I use 12 pound powerpro. I also thread 2 brass beads on the connection between the hooks. I love the action!