Fly Tying
scudder

Thingamabobbers

Does anyone out there have any experience using the plastic ball strike indicator known as the Thingamabobber. I am skeptical about the claims made regarding no effect on the cast. I can see its' use for drifting steelhead holding areas but am skeptical on its use for inland stream trout. Any and all comments will be appreciated . Thank you.

I love them. They float very high are light weight and aerodynamic so have alot less effect then say a bulky piece of foam or a fluffy yarn indicator. They are make a small size smaller then a dime that is just wonderful for small flies or slow water.

Joe

I agree with your suspicion; I would expect them at the very least to require very heavy leader and line setup (read AFTMA 7+) not to mention that they really stretch the line between fly fishing and float fishing.

I would recommend instead the smaller adhesive foam indicators. I was introduced to them only last season and they revolutionized my nymph fishing.

J.

If I have to use floats in any situation then they are the ones I use Scudder, and while I would disagree that there is 'no' change....it is certainly no worse than any twist on or yarn indicators. I have found, assuming you are using the right size, that it is a more sensitive indicator than most.

I started using them this fall having previously used loon putty. I think they definitelty cause less impact/weight when casting and presenting the line. As far as a heavy leader, I typically use 5x tapered leaders and then use 6x and 7x tippet (depending of fly size). I havent had any problems with leader attachment but then again I havent had to go above a 9ft leader this fall/winter either. I figure as long as im fishing in a foot of water, Im at least a foot above my tippet and well into the 5x portion of the leader.

Firetiger, I dont understand the float fishing comment as my nymphs are certainly dragging on the bottom and not being supported by the bobber. Also I dont know why anyone would want to fish the middle column of water in a stream. No feeding fish there. Top or bottom for me!!

Firetiger, I dont understand the float fishing comment as my nymphs are certainly dragging on the bottom and not being supported by the bobber. Also I dont know why anyone would want to fish the middle column of water in a stream. No feeding fish there. Top or bottom for me!!

I was referring to the ethical aspect - when I started fly fishing I was intrigued by the dry fly mystique, picture Mr. Halford in his tweed jacket and so on... Only later I was forced to accept the reality and use weighted flies, first short lining (very popular here) and last year using indicator.

It works for sure, but some people are ready to put equation mark between using a bober and a can of worms - both good for coarse fishermen but unworthy of a fly fishing purist.

Jindra

I've used them exclusively for about 2-3 years now and have absolutely no complaints. I previously tied my own yarn indicators. I have heard, "oh, they spook fish", "they tear up your leader" and countless other arguments but I haven't experienced any of that. The small ones can be incorporated into flies as well to make Thingamahoppers and Thingamastones, using the indicator as a parachute.

Im with you Jindra. I always feel sort of guilty using indicators, but being a novice still, they certainly have improved my catch rate.

Pelhament: I would love to see your thingamaFlys. (that didnt sound too swishy did it?) <_<

I have used them, and have mixed feelings about them. They work great, but I always have a hard time adjusting them which I have to do ALOT. Personally I prefer "Turn On's" over thingamabobbers

Like all things they have their time and place - if I use an indicator I tend to use the smallest piece of Loon's strike putty I can - that said I have this last year used Thingamabobbers out west on bigger waters and found them to be surprisingly sensitive and effective. More so than yarn or balsa indicators I might have used in the past.

They're the only indicators I use. I like how sensitive they are, how visable they are on the water, and they cast fine even with my 4 weight.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. I would also like to see the "thingamaFlies"

Pelhament: I would love to see your thingamaFlys. (that didnt sound too swishy did it?) <_<

I would love to take credit for them, but I believe my local fly shop actually originated the design (I could be wrong though).

Here is a link to the page that contains them:

Thingamahopper

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/th8.html

Thingamastone

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/th10.html

I know quite a few guides who swear by em. They are easy to put on and move, are cheap, light and pretty much fool proof. Myself I use Rio kahuna twisties but they have been discontinued. ( It's a small piece of aluminum wire slid down the core of a spongy piece of fly line and twisted around your leader) If you watch the cut scenes from "No Sports Allowed" a DVD about some Idaho guides you will see what they think about yarn and strike indicators in general. I tend to agree, they are a crutch for inattentiveness! A nice sort lined dead drift with the person paying attention to the line is the way to go. The twisties i use are very very small and only used to keep my leader drift visible. I slide the little knot of twisty until its riding about2-6 inches below the surface and let er go, if the little yellow knot twitches I set!