Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
navigator37

1/0 or 2/0 standard 4x streamer hooks???

Hi all.

Does anyone know where I can get 2/0 or 1/0 streamer hooks

with only a 4x shank? Not saltwater, stainless, or salmon hooks.

Just regular like mustads R74 or similar.

Years ago I use to buy mustads in 2/0 but can't find them anymore.

There are lots of 1/0 and larger streamer hooks out there

but they are all too long a shank, stainless steel or salmon fly hooks.

All standard 4x shank makes seem to only be around in size 2 or smaller.

Anyone help me here on a place?

What you're looking for is likely not currently being produced, as I doubt there is much demand for such a hook. You may find something similar in a discontinued hook, but limited supply will be the issue. I have some old Gaelic Supreme hooks in sizes 2/0, but they're Sproat bend & Limerick bend hooks, and I have no way of knowing how the shank length compares, as there is no reference on the box.

I also wish there were some specific hooks for my tying that are currently not being produced, but have learned to just adapt to what is already widely available. I use a lot of hooks that are not sold as fly tying hooks.

You could possibly have hooks made, but that would require a large investment of funds. I once checked out having some hooks made & was told I would have to buy about 100,000 minimum, of one size, and I was interested in several sizes at the time. Wasn't worth the cost to me, especially since I don't have that kind of money.

What are you wanting to tie with such a hook? Maybe someone can suggest an alternative.

I'm tying pike flies without long tails.

I found problems with tail wrap on short shank hooks.

I have a pattern now that involves rabbit strip palmered

down the entire length of a hook shank with only a small tail end.

Red Wolf hooks are something I can check out too.

They are as cheap as dirt but they come in good sizes.

Daiichi 2460, 61, and 62 long shank aberdeens are a possibility as well.

Just don't know if they are tough enough.

The 10x Carrie Steven's are great but they are a little too long and are pricey.

Maybe you are right and I'll end up just making do with what's out there now.

I don't do any Pike fishing, but have tied Pike flies on spinnerbait hooks when I tied commercially. I also use them for some of the bass & Striper fishing I do.

Mustad has 2 versions, one has a round bend,(32606N) the other is more of an O'Shaughnessy bend (91706N). The round bend hook also comes in 2 versions, with one having a longer shank length than the other (32608N). They come in a nickel finish, and all are very sharp & strong.

I use some Owner & Gamakatsu spinnerbait hooks too for tying flies, but they're both considerably more expensive than Mustad.

I only know of one lure craft supplier in Canada that sells Mustad hooks, check out www.luremaking.com. They have other brands as well.

You may also find them on Ebay depending on how many you need. I know there are some sellers on there who sell the Mustad hooks, as I've seen them listed in the past.

I'm not sure how the exchange rate is right now, but Hagens (hagensfish.com) sells the Mustad hooks, as well as others, and so does Barlow's Tackle (barlowstackle.com). Both are good sources for many tackle making items, and both also have some tying supplies.

I hope this helps you!

Great site Chuckingfluff.

The other one Luremaking.com is great too.

It helps to find these Canadian sites but now I'll have to watch

my budget even more closely!

I would suggest getting some heavy wire shafts for Spinner Making, from a source like Jann's Netcraft. Secure the shaft to the top of whatever hook you choose. Cut off the gnarly big eye on the shaft, reform it into something acceptable. A loop-eye as found on many salmon hooks is good because you can whip it closed and it has no bulk. Now you can have a 20xl hook if you want, for cheap. The wire is not tempered the same as a hook shank, so it is flexible and will bend, but it is strong. It is quite flexy to tie on, but it does work, I have done it many times.

Orvis makes them! I got the 3/0 hooks #13KE. If you can't find them anywhere then I know where there are few packages left yet. PM me if you need the location.

Great site Chuckingfluff.

The other one Luremaking.com is great too.

It helps to find these Canadian sites but now I'll have to watch

my budget even more closely!

I've bought feathers and fur from him and would not recommend it; it's cheap and that's what you get cheap materials. I buy 90% of my hooks from him and I started ordering my Rite bobbins from him.

I would suggest hooks used for largemouth bass.

Tiemco 8089 have very large gapes with misleading size numbers.

The light wire hooks used for rubber worms are also close to what you are describing.

Research the hooks used for tying large bass bugs with deer hair, many will be equivalent to 1/0 and 2/0 without those number designations.

Regards,

FK

I would suggest hooks used for largemouth bass.

Tiemco 8089 have very large gapes with misleading size numbers.

The light wire hooks used for rubber worms are also close to what you are describing.

Research the hooks used for tying large bass bugs with deer hair, many will be equivalent to 1/0 and 2/0 without those number designations.

Regards,

FK

I got those to, but its nothing like the Orvis 13KE hook.