Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uncletube

Do you fish traditional wet flies and soft hackles

I have a few wet fly and soft hackle patterns that I fish regularly and I am wanting to add some more to my trout boxes.

I thought I would ask some of you guys that fish them regularly if you had any favorites. I am particularly interested in old patterns from New England and Great Britain .

Thanks .

Tube blink.gif

Alot of the old British patterns are just different colored floss (green, olive, yellow, orange, etc......) and partridge. There's also the peacock and starling which I liked very much. Don't forgot flymphs - nymphs with soft hackle. I found them to work very well and I believe it's because it adds life to the fly.

Hi Tube, where ya been?

I've had pretty good success fishing "Fur wets". Instead of hackle it has spun squirrel (Fox or red) Quite simple to tie. Dubbing loop with trapped hair and stroked back with each wrap. Not really anything traditional, but...

Real buggy, even in the smaller sizes wink.gif

Thanks for the tips guys. The hair thing sounds very Interesting indeed. Sorry Shoe, I have been busy fishing, tying, and working. Looks like I won't be able to do Michigan for Kings this fall . Saving what little cash I have for the November White river trip.

Tube blink.gif

One of my favorites is a traditional pattern that still works extremely well it's the Alexandra. Here's a link on how to tie it and it's history.

The Alexandra

Ken cool.gif

November on the White smile.gif

Sure wish I could join you. We had a blast last Thanksgiving. 20's at night at 50 during the day. My wife had other plans for this year. I'm stuck in the desert. bugeyes.gif I hope to steal away and hit the Painted Canyon for a day or 2.

Here a pic of one of the squirrel pattern prototypes. Since then I have pulled all the hairs up and back to give it that caddis emerger look

user posted image

Whoa good call fly one.. i was gonna suggest the alexandra... other than that Uncletube try a royal coachman, most tradional fly i know cheers.gif

I like old English wets or flies of that style. I like a little blob of robust dubbing (something like seal) just behind the soft hackle to bounce it up. The fly will sort of pulse then. UK seatrout flies often seem to be like that. I attached a scan of one I tied with some soft pheasant hackle, thin deep red body and burnt orange seal dubbing. I think the marabou tail should be changed to hair or soft webby hackly fibers.

post-22-1095435295.jpg

Partridge and Orange is one of my favorites. I also make it in Partridge and Chartreuse which works well during Caddis hatches. Dark Cahill wets rock too.

Greeting, y'all! I fish some local/traditional patterns here in southeast Tennessee. My favorite is the brown hackle peacock. Red tail (any material- I use a short sprig of red marabou), peacock hackle- wrapped around the thread and dubbed to last longer, hackle can be brown (obviously), ginger, or grizzly. I carry all three. Last, I tie one I call the Beadhead Hogan (B2H). It calls for a nymph hook about size 12-14, brass bead (you can add more weight if needed) and I dub a hank of hair from my son's black Lab, Hogan. No collar/hackle, etc., just the two ingredients. After finishing, I give the B2H a haircut to even up the stray hair. Catches fish! Not exactly traditional as some but I have found locally that many different patterns work. I have experimented with Renegades in various color combinations and found that they also work. This topic has motivated me to try some others. The flymph is one that i find interesting. I think FlyFisherman Magazine had an article on that pattern in the past. Thanks a bunch! headbang.gif