Fly Tying
troutdogg

Whats your favorite fly tying scissors & why?

Anvil...Ice - 1 straight - 1 curved - 1 4" razor - Also have one pair Dr. Slick Heavy curved serated blades

and I also use a pair of fiskers spring style craft scissors -

My new favorite

SB_SixthFingerAd.jpg

Slip them on your index finger and fuggetaboutit.

Available directly from Keith at www.singlebarbed.com

I have no affiliation or monetary interest.

Nice concept!

I have been eyeing a pair like that from Miltex but without the finger loop. Looks like they took a standard spring load and brazed on the loop and then had the rear part titaniun nitrate coated to cover up the brazing. I would have suggested coating the blades also to keep them super sharp forever. :yahoo:

Just curious, what is the coutry of Mfg for the Six Finger

Hey, has anyone ever used a straight razor for shaping deer hair?

I remember seeing an old timers fly tying box and he tied a ton of deer hair flys - had at least three straight razors in his kit.

My new favorite

SB_SixthFingerAd.jpg

Nice concept!

I have been eyeing a pair like that from Miltex but without the finger loop. Looks like they took a standard spring load and brazed on the loop and then had the rear part titaniun nitrate coated to cover up the brazing. I would have suggested coating the blades also to keep them super sharp forever. :yahoo:

Just curious, what is the coutry of Mfg for the Six Finger

I don't know in what country they're made, but you can read about the next generation here:

Sixth Finger Update

SB_SixthFingerAd.jpg

I did a review on them recently. They are a nice concept, and come in handy. Not my favorite when it comes to cutting or versatility.

reading this thread got me really thinking i need some new scissors! so i got me 2 pair of Dr. Slicks one a 4" prisim and another pair for small flies!

I use the Dr. Slick Micro tip 4" All Purpose Scissors except for those tasks which might dull them... use an older pair for that.

The scissors are affordable and the micro tip gives me the fine trimming ability I need.

I use the Marc Petitjean Rubis curved scissors, Dr. Slick 4" All Purpose, Dr. Slick Hair, some Indian scissors that refuse to go bad, and a pair of Anvil Midge scissors which palm nicely

Hey guys, I thought I would throw this question out there to just get some input from the group and maybe add some insight to anyone starting out.

Wiss thread scissors.

They are sharp, pointed, spring loaded (they open on their own) and have replaceable blades, though they hold an edge very well.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_F...pc=037103581266

(I don't know anything about this site. I just googled the picture)

Rainy Riding from Rainy's flies recommended them and I have not been disappointed.

Carl

Hey, has anyone ever used a straight razor for shaping deer hair?

I remember seeing an old timers fly tying box and he tied a ton of deer hair flys - had at least three straight razors in his kit.

Not a "straight razor" as in the old-time barbershop thing that looked like a folding pocketknife. Double-Edge shaving razors, yes they are indispensable for shaping of good deer hair bugs after rough trimming with scissor. Each blade is very thin, has a long strange slot down the middle, and is very flexible. While still in the individual paper wrapper, fold each side of the blade at the end of the slot to snap it. now you have 2 wickedly sharp, very flexible blades to shave the body of your deer bug.

As for scissors, Dr. Slick has won me over for absolute best quality per dollar spent. I use the 4 inch hair scissor a lot, curved hair scissor, All-purpose, arrow-tip, and probably one or two others. I have tied a LOT of bucktails and hair bugs using my Hair Scissors, for over 4 years now, and they are still in excellent condition. I hold my scissor in my right hand, with one ring around my ring finger, while tying. I find that a short scissor will sometimes open up and I jab myself. If I had to have just one scissor for tying (!!!) it would be the Dr. Slick 4 inch straight hair scissor. I even have a couple sets stored away, never opened, bought from JStockard on their annual sale. I figure some time down the road I might need them and not be able to get them. they're strong enough for heavy work and the tip is fine enough for all things down to about 18. Arrow scissor is better for things smaller than 10 or so, except cutting hair for elk-hair caddis, stimulators, etc.

Most scissors get ruined by abuse. For wire, I have a little set of Xuron flush cut wire cutters. Sheet foam is incredibly abrasive and will ruin expensive fly tying scissors quickly. For that I use El Cheapos, or if I'm making my super-secret folded foam bream bugs, I just cut strips with a razor knife.

"What scissor?" is almost as bad a question as "What vise?".....

Hey, has anyone ever used a straight razor for shaping deer hair? I remember seeing an old timers fly tying box and he tied a ton of deer hair flys - had at least three straight razors in his kit.

A straight razor would be a cool tool for tying. I did some straight razor research a while back - not related to fly tying. Why? Just because. Anyhow, I decided the initial expense for a good razor and the accessories and the maintenance learning curve were both a little steep.

Hey guys, I thought I would throw this question out there to just get some input from the group and maybe add some insight to anyone starting out.

Other than the cheap little scissors I use for cutting wire, thick feather parts, etc., I have three sizes of Dr. Slick scissors and like them quite well. I got some Taperizer scissors a month or so ago. I think it will take some practice to get the hang of them, but it looks like they will be useful in some situations.

If you're into nice instruments/tools, one thing I might add to the thread (no pun intended): consider picking up some curved Mayo scissors for tough stuff like cutting hair from hides. Mayo scissors are "heavy" surgical scissors. I'm sure there are numerous places to get them, but mine came from eBay. The ones I picked up are the 7" size. They come smaller and larger. If you have a hankering to use the same Mayo scissors used in a lot of hospitals, you might see if you can find some Codman (brand) Mayo scissors.

Yes, the Taperizers take a little time to get the feel for but the time is well worth it.

Good suggestion for the Mayo Scissors, now I just need to find a pair with the adjustable finger / thumb loops............ <_<

I just saw a video with a guy using the taperizers, they look like they do a great job of thininng the fly to a taper and seem pretty easy to use the way he did it. He cut directly across the body of the fly with a little pressure and it thinned the material out beautifully. Now I really gotta try them. Here's

in case anyone is interested

Other than the cheap little scissors I use for cutting wire, thick feather parts, etc., I have three sizes of Dr. Slick scissors and like them quite well. I got some Taperizer scissors a month or so ago. I think it will take some practice to get the hang of them, but it looks like they will be useful in some situations.

If you're into nice instruments/tools, one thing I might add to the thread (no pun intended): consider picking up some curved Mayo scissors for tough stuff like cutting hair from hides. Mayo scissors are "heavy" surgical scissors. I'm sure there are numerous places to get them, but mine came from eBay. The ones I picked up are the 7" size. They come smaller and larger. If you have a hankering to use the same Mayo scissors used in a lot of hospitals, you might see if you can find some Codman (brand) Mayo scissors.

Yes, the Taperizers take a little time to get the feel for but the time is well worth it.

Good suggestion for the Mayo Scissors, now I just need to find a pair with the adjustable finger / thumb loops............ <_<

I just saw a video with a guy using the taperizers, they look like they do a great job of thininng the fly to a taper and seem pretty easy to use the way he did it. He cut directly across the body of the fly with a little pressure and it thinned the material out beautifully. Now I really gotta try them. Here's

in case anyone is interested

A must for anyone doing Saltie Flies............... Highly recommend them!