Fly Tying
foambug

smallmouth nymphs

ok i am finishing up my box (i go from big to lilttle )i am looking for nymph patters for smallmouth ...also pics please an/or recipes ....thanks in advance ...michael /foambug....i am also in face book

In general, I like bigger nymphs for smallmouths... stonefly patterns, dragonflies, larger end of the caddis and mayfly patterns. I have had less success with small patterns with smallmouths, unlike trout which devour tiny flies like they're munching popcorn.

David, I also have more success with big nymphs. A Montana Nymph with rubber legs tied on a size 4 or 6, 2 or 3X long hook works real good. Big & buggy is what you need for Smallmouths. I have the most success with black or olive nymphs. :D

big, ugly ones in black, olive, and brown.

You can get as fancy as you want, or keep it as simple as you want.

Bucktail and squirrel tail streamers....although simple...are killer on largemouths and smallmouths in some of the rivers and lakes I fish

One of the nicest smallies I ever caught was on the good ol' BH Prince Nymph, size 10 or 12.

You'll end up picking up a bunch of bream, but all sizes of fish grab it. I strip it in slow through the calmer pools of warmwater creeks.