Fly Tying

McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn

Which do you prefer for making egg patterns  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I mainly use McFly Foam. I like how the teeth of the fish get hung up with the foam. I think it is easier to cut and tie down also. But you cant beat Glo Bugs oregon cheese. The yarn I think works better for the sperm in the nuke egg.

Hey egg guys. We have an egg swap going on with openings still avaiable. Lets fill these up! Tie 12 any type egg pattern and get 12 back. You may get that egg pattern or color combo that nobady really fishes on your waters and tear them up. Go to the swap page for more details and sign up. smile.gif

Well even though i use beads more than glo bugs i still tie 500 or so glo bugs a year for Red salmon and occasionally dollies and bows. I have to say i prefer Mycfly foam because it's so much easier to work with and if you do a good job it will look great, maybe not as much as glo bug yarn but the fish don't give a damn!!

This is how i tie my glow bugs, it's quick and turns out some great lookin flies.

Take 5 pieces of glo bug yarn twice the length of the shank. Now put Stack 2 pieces on top of the other 3 pieces like a pyramid and pinch them together(if you want a dot make sure the dot color is the top two pieces). At the middle of the hook take two ligh wraps of kevalar thread over the middle of the pinched yard and then sinch down as tight as possible. Take a extra wrap and then tie forward and finish off the thread. Finall Using a Large sharp scissor Pull the yarn up as one as hard as you can and make one sharp cut about a 1/3 of the way up the yarn. It's important that you only make one cut so you need good scissors.

I use the Mcfly foam for more than eggs.

Like Sorearm says, the fibers get stuck on the teeth or rough jaws of a fish easier than most other fibers used.

I tie up some crayfish patterns with the Mcfly foam, and believe that fish hang on for a second longer, just what I need for a hookup.

Conehead

I have used both materials and I like both materials for different reasons. I like the Mcfly foam because it is the simplist to use. but I dont like it as much because I think it is too dense and doesnt give the natural translucency of an egg that the egg yarn does. but I still use the McFly foam on egg sucking patterns because it is just that much easier to work with. One other reason I LIke the egg yarn better is because you cant get some of the mottled colors in the foam

I have a box full of yarn flies that I don't even use. I have never gotten into the egg flies. Maybe eventually I will, but right now it's just not for me. Kodiak Commando is right about the extra sharp scissors. I have a buddy that ties them at all the shows I've seen him at and his philosophy is the same. Just one good cut on the (in his case ) yarn and he's good to go. Like I said... maybe eventually I'll get into the egg thing but just not right now.

Mike

I used yarn for years with kevlar thread and recently switched all at once to foam and gel spun thread and man what a change. I love the foam and the thread. Only draw back with the foam is that I have dry skin and it snags up on the foam constantly. I also use serrated curved scissors to make the cut and always put a clump on both top and bottom. Bottom is lighted for hook gap though.

I have only used globugs yarn, but after a few tries, I got it, now I can tie some yarn in with it, and make the spot in the center.

Hey what about the little pom-poms that craft stores sell. They don't come in all the colors, but there are some cool colors. Either slip a hook through the center and super glue it in place or even easier and I think better, hold the hook with forceps, heat it with a candle or cigerette lighter and put the ball on the hook. It melts right on there and stays solid.

...its really going to depend on the egg pattern you are tying for opaue eggs or really dense eggs.... there are single eggs and scrambled eggs one ties better with the other...

The foam is sooooo much easier. when cutting glo bug yarn the scissors kill your fingers. foam can be shaped much easier and is alot quicker to tie with. For me the eggs turn out alot better with foam. just my opinion.

The trick to glo-bug yarn is to take a lighter and hold the fly about 2 inches away and spin the fly around cleaning up any scragglies. It will also form the yarn into a tighter better looking egg pattern. However, i use McFly Foam because you get the same results without the lighter. One less step is a big deal when you tie hundreds of these per season.

mcfly foam is the way to go for single eggs, easy to shape and work with. sucker spawn and other egg patterns the egg yarn is much better