Fly Tying
TOM PRUETT

Wooly bugger

I saw feathers that realy cool they were red and black And i wondered what i could tie them on !!I have a book on fly patterns by randall kaufmann

theres 3500 pattens in the book and i saw a baby wolly bugger tied by ken menard .And i thought i will make my own version of the baby wooly bugger

using the feathers

I uesd black marabou and black flash in the tail

and for the body ice chocolate brown and copper wire!

post-25665-1269985416_thumb.jpg

post-25665-1269985464_thumb.jpg

Hackle is a tad too big for this application. Other than that, I give you kudos on the intuition for using dubbing instead of chennile for a Bugger this small - congrats! May I add that the color contrast is cool too.

Tom, the body hackle, by the proportions that most would consider appropriate, is the wrong size to use for that size hook. The hackle fibers should probably be about 2/3 the length of what you used, or possibly even half the size. Use a feather that is not as wide.

However, there is no set rule that says you can't use an over sized body hackle on a bugger. I do it quite often with bass buggers, but on much larger size hooks.

If you want to use an over sized hackle, then try something that is softer, so it lays back more. It looks like you may have used rooster hackle, so try some hen saddle instead.

Also, I think what Fishyboy is saying about the over crowding, is you should use a few less wraps of hackle on the body, spaced evenly along the hook shank. and by using a dubbing loop you'll get a better looking body, likely a bit slimmer, because you should have better control of the dubbing materials.

Actually, I think you're off to a great start, and I also like the colors. :)

that tail doesnt look like mariboo, but to each his own just make sure to keep it centered on the hook, try a few loose wrapsthen while holding the tail tight pull the thread tight. as for what he said about about a dubbing loop after tying in your tail make a loop about 2 to 3 times the length of the hook and tie it down by wrapping the tread around the hook at the point where you tied in the tail. im sure you have a dubbing "spinner" take the thread and tie in a less wide hackle then tread up to the bead. grab that"spinner" and put the loop on the two hooks and let it hang wile you put dubbing between the treads. I usually spin it like a top till it looks good then wrap up to the bead tie down and cut whats left of the loop off. then bring your hackle up and tie off.

usually one would use chenell for the body instead of dubbing, as for the hackle you have on now you could cheat and trim it.... or fish it dangit and tell us how that bug does :yahoo:

oh ya that hook size thing 8 6 4 2 i even saw one at the fly shop on like a 00 it way huge

And did you lead wrap the body? that will keep it on the bottom

this is my 8 fly i tied.Iam just having fun ! i see all this stuff i can use and just but some thing together. i tried to follow a pattern but that didnt work lol

Iam going to start watching more videos!! Thanks to every body !!!! iam realy learning alot from you guys!!! i wished i started this SOONER :rolleyes:

You're not going to learn to tie by watching videos! You gotta actually do it. Take a well known fly such as a Hare's Ear Nymph and tie a couple dozen of them. Then move onto another pattern, then another - sooner than later you'll get some technique and muscle memory built up.

You're not going to learn to tie by watching videos! You gotta actually do it. Take a well known fly such as a Hare's Ear Nymph and tie a couple dozen of them. Then move onto another pattern, then another - sooner than later you'll get some technique and muscle memory built up.

I saw feathers that realy cool they were red and black And i wondered what i could tie them on !!I have a book on fly patterns by randall kaufmann

theres 3500 pattens in the book and i saw a baby wolly bugger tied by ken menard .And i thought i will make my own version of the baby wooly bugger

using the feathers

I uesd black marabou and black flash in the tail

and for the body ice chocolate brown and copper wire!

READ the book! If you have a book that has instructions on technique, make sure to soak it all in. This is a mistake that I've made. I'd get so eager to start tying, I'd completely overlook the book that would tell me how.

That book is great if you all ready know what your doing .. But if dont ..Well it does not tell HOW TO tie the fly i have been winging IT LOL I have no idea what iam doing lol i just started