Fly Tying
NJFlyMAn

Midge Swap!!!

I need to see if my eyes will allow me to do those again...

I got some Mustad C49s #24 hooks. They are small, All I came up with, was red thread and a silver bead head.. They worked good on the trout the other day. But, I would still like to do something else with them. Any ideas??? I'm thinking size #24 is to small for me to tie on anything except thread and dubbing.

OK...I think I'm going to have to stick with the #24 spinner. I use this where I used to use an RS2 alot - and I think it's much easier to tie.

post-24279-1270699958_thumb.jpg

post-24279-1270700004_thumb.jpg

The second pic sucks - the camera apparently focused on the vise, rather than the fly. It takes just about as long to make my fat fingers stick that TINY hook in the vise as it does to tie this up. The legs are just a piece of 14/0 thread folded in thirds and attached - then trim to make 3 legs on each side.

post-24279-1270700015_thumb.jpg

post-24279-1270700020_thumb.jpg

Just a quick note on these - You either need to debarb them really well or fish for meat. I seem to have a problem with the really small hooks (22 and smaller) being inhaled rather than ingested by the fish. Lots of gill hookings - and many are fatal. If you're meat fishing - go for it. C&R, I don't know that I'd do it.

Just my $0.02

OK...I think I'm going to have to stick with the #24 spinner. I use this where I used to use an RS2 alot - and I think it's much easier to tie.

post-24279-1270699958_thumb.jpg

post-24279-1270700004_thumb.jpg

The second pic sucks - the camera apparently focused on the vise, rather than the fly. It takes just about as long to make my fat fingers stick that TINY hook in the vise as it does to tie this up. The legs are just a piece of 14/0 thread folded in thirds and attached - then trim to make 3 legs on each side.

post-24279-1270700015_thumb.jpg

post-24279-1270700020_thumb.jpg

Just a quick note on these - You either need to debarb them really well or fish for meat. I seem to have a problem with the really small hooks (22 and smaller) being inhaled rather than ingested by the fish. Lots of gill hookings - and many are fatal. If you're meat fishing - go for it. C&R, I don't know that I'd do it.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for the information about fishing them small hooks...I never noticed that, but now I'll stay with size #24 and above..Don't wont to kill a trout.

Thanks for the information about fishing them small hooks...I never noticed that, but now I'll stay with size #24 and above..Don't wont to kill a trout.

It depends on where you're going to be fishing. I fish some of the trout parks around here and they're stocked daily. I really like fish over the campfire :dunno:

I won't use them for wild fish.

I'm in. 8.gif I'll have to do some thinking about the exact pattern and test my eyes as to how small I can go.291.gif

I'm in. 8.gif I'll have to do some thinking about the exact pattern and test my eyes as to how small I can go.291.gif

Welcome bigdewy..Glad to have you on board.

Okay to add me in? I will let you know size and pattern after I do inventory on my bench.

Okay to add me in? I will let you know size and pattern after I do inventory on my bench.

Welcome Cheri! Glad to have you!

I'm in. Pattern TBD. Is it a midge pattern you want, or just any teeny weeny?

What ever you feel like tying.. It can be just thread on a hook.

As long as it catches fish, I don't mind... :rolleyes:

Steve, I have half tied up and will send them out Monday when finished. #20 bead midge with a twist. LOL!

These old lady eyes can't see much smaller.

Steve, I have half tied up and will send them out Monday when finished. #20 bead midge with a twist. LOL!

Have you tried a pair of them reader glasses when tying midges? I found out they help allot.

Wow...That was fast..I'm still waiting for my hook order.

Have you tried a pair of them reader glasses when tying midges? I found out they help allot.

Wow...That was fast..I'm still waiting for my hook order.

Yep infact that was with readers and mags. I am blind up close! LOL!!!