Fly Tying
Guest Big E

"Surprise Me" Swap

I dont know about my imagination but my skills or lack thereof are getting a workout. Trying some new things and brought out the epoxy! Good thing you sent extra stuff!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: [color="#FFFF00"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!][/color] :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Guest Big E

Thanks everyone! I'm down for some cake.....

cake, cake, cake, I like cake.

:yahoo:

One year closer to retirement!

Guest Big E
Big E, Got my first Organza flies ready to travel. Do you want me to wait until after June to send them? :blink:

Yes please. I'm hot and heavy into moving and passing kidney stones and both houses look like a bomb went off in them. I'll let everyone know about 1 June where to send them to who is ready for the address.

Thanks.

Guest Big E

Hello Everyone,

Well I'm moved into the new house. Still unpacking boxes and arranging stuff though. Haven't broken anything yet which is always a good sign. The flytying room is still packed up but, if you're ready, you can send me a PM for my new address. I'll be sending PMs to those who said they are ready.

Looking forward to your creations.

E

I learned a few things from this swap. First, squirrel tail was pretty much designed to not be tied on a hook. Second, there are not a lot of patterns that call for squirrel tail, probably because it was designed to not be tied on a hook :D Finally, if you think there are few squirrel tail patterns, just try and find a yellow squirrel tail pattern...

I settled on a hairwing streamer because I figured I could be creative with that and learn a bit since I don't tie streamers. After about 30 variations (not counting the times that the squirrel hair leapt from the hook) I settled on a pattern that I'm calling a yellow olive streamer. I think these turned out okay, but I'm honestly not proud of them. In particular I had a lot of trouble with the heads. Next time I would try to better taper the hair and maybe use epoxy. I took one of the earlier incarnations out this weekend and it did stream nicely. the stiff squirrel hair acts like a rudder.

They will be in the mail tomorrow morning.

post-24337-1275880442_thumb.jpg

Guest Big E

Received some awesome ties from FishingBobNelson and Rockwork. Great job guys!!

Thanks for the extras....much appreciated!

E