Fly Tying
Guest Big E

"Surprise Me" Swap

I learned a few things from this swap. First, squirrel tail was pretty much designed to not be tied on a hook. Second, there are not a lot of patterns that call for squirrel tail, probably because it was designed to not be tied on a hook :D Finally, if you think there are few squirrel tail patterns, just try and find a yellow squirrel tail pattern...

I settled on a hairwing streamer because I figured I could be creative with that and learn a bit since I don't tie streamers. After about 30 variations (not counting the times that the squirrel hair leapt from the hook) I settled on a pattern that I'm calling a yellow olive streamer. I think these turned out okay, but I'm honestly not proud of them. In particular I had a lot of trouble with the heads. Next time I would try to better taper the hair and maybe use epoxy. I took one of the earlier incarnations out this weekend and it did stream nicely. the stiff squirrel hair acts like a rudder.

They will be in the mail tomorrow morning.

i know what you mean about the stiffness... i tied a few spun then folded back to make some nice fat baitfish patterns i'll post one or two with the recipe as soon as i get back from strawberry

Guest Big E

Received some more flies today from IBRB, FrequentTyer, and Cheri.

Great ties! I'm really stoked seeing what creative ties you guys are doing with the material I sent you. Excellent!

Thanks for all the extras!

Guest Big E

Received flies from Devin. Nice way to use the biots...betcha that was difficult to wrap. Nice job.

Thanks for the extras!

E

I haven't forgotten about the swap. I've tied up many prototype flies, none that I'm really pleased with... until last night. I think I have a fishable terrestrial that I won't be too embarrassed to send. It would be better if I had wing cutters, so it'll look a little rough. It's a foam based bug, and the technique really creates a nice water silhouette. Hopefully you guys will be able to take my rough idea and improve on it.

P.S. I'll over night the flies to you Wednesday morning. With the new house, I've spent too much time tending to other things it seems.

Dont worry Dart. I am running late with mine as well. Work has been kicking my butt lately. I am trying like crazy to finish mine but I might be late. I thought I had until the 3rd. Sorry guys but life as a Gang detective in Summer is crazy to say the least

Guest Big E

Received some nice flies from NJAllDay today. Very inventive use of the furry foam...never thought of tying it like that.

Thanks for the extra...much appreciated!

Received some nice flies from NJAllDay today. Very inventive use of the furry foam...never thought of tying it like that.

Thanks for the extra...much appreciated!

No problem, Thanks for hosting.

I realized today that I didn't have E's new address. I PM'ed him, but no response yet. I was wondering if someone could PM it to me so I can mail these things out tomorrow. Thanks.

Mine went in FedEx overnight today. But not at the $161.00 that the local "PakMail" company wanted to charge me. :bugeyes: