Fly Tying
Dart

Popper Swap II

Beautiful bodies, can't wait to see the tail.

Kirk

We're still talking about fishing, right?

Poppers are looking good, guys. I had some success yesterday with the fishing, but I'm sicker than a dog now. What I suspected to be a sinus infection set in yesterday afternoon. As I was driving home, I honestly thought I may be dying. I get a sinus infection every spring, but I have NEVER had one that hurt like this. After running some redlights to get home sooner to get some meds in me, here I sit waiting for the dr's office to open.

I had to field test GPDs and Kirk's poppers for you guys. I mean... I didn't want anyone to get poppers that weren't fitting! They worked like the champs they are. I tested my balsa popper out, and I really like how it casted, sat on the water, popped and caught fish, so I'll be turning some more out soon. Hopefully I'll get some meds today that will make me feel like I want to live again.

No pics?

No pics. :( Mrs. Dart went to Philadelphia yesterday for a conference and took the camera with her. The largest of the day wasn't a monster, but was "nice eatin' size." 10 inch, 11.5 oz shellcracker.

Maybe next time...

Did you go with the red or the black? The black ones seem to work a little better around here.

Beautiful bodies, can't wait to see the tail.

Kirk

We're still talking about fishing, right?

Still fishing, just threw a little dual lango in that one to see if any red-blooded men were reading.

Dart,

Do you know about Netti? I used to get sinus infections every year as well and I haven't had a single one since getting a netti pot. When I feel sinus issues coming on I just start daily treatments when I'm taking a shower. I know many people who have had the same experience since getting a netti pot.

wikki on netti

I received a great set of hopper poppers from Paul D today. These things are going to SLAY the fish... this is definitely a new idea to me and the paint looks even better in person, guys.

I just got home from the doc and pharmacy. Come to find out I have a major sinus infection and 2 ear infections. The only way I could have more garbage in my head is if I had two noses or three ears. I got a shot in my bum by a cute little girl (not as fun as it may sound) and I'm on oral antibiotics. Mucinex is also in the works, so I'll be laid up for a couple days after this post. I'll try to check back in if I feel like sitting in a chair. My boss is more than awesome though and told me to not come back to work until I'm fever free for 24 hours (I'm currently running 101.9 after 6 GRAMS of ibuprofen over the past 15 hours). THEN my boss goes on to ask if he can do anything for me, such as bring me soft drinks or something. Now awesome is he?!

Paul, it's funny you should mention Neti. Ron also sent me a PM recommending it. While I was at the RX, I picked up the squeeze bottle, distilled water and 100 extra packets. I'm really hoping this thing works. I love Spring, but the allergies nearly kill me every year.

Thanks for looking out, guys. I'll try to check back in as often as I can.

Jeff

edit: Don't worry, I'm keeping everyone's poppers sanitary.

no no not the squeeze version (although in your current condition it maybe your only option). the netti pots just work on gravity i.e. gently. I tried the bulb syringe version and it put me off of the process for a year or more before someone convinced me to try the netti pot. I suspect where you are at now might make using the non-pressurized pot problematic but when you get a little less packed it will work much better than the squeeze bottle.

glad the poppers arrived.

My flies are in the mail. Balsa wood poppers. Wish I could have made them look better. Let me know when they get there. Thanks for hosting, Dart.

Take care

BB

Mine are done....the tails suck. Hate marabou. Done with poppers and swaps for the rest fo the freaking summer. HATE these flies. Hopefully there will be enough good poppers in this swap to help carry me through the summer. I fought with the tails for days. I tied them, cut them free, and tied them again....three times. I've almost run out of material. I have cussed, and stomped and cussed some more (all in the privacy of the "Mancave", of course). Still don't look right to me, but Jamie says they look good...whadda she know anyway....soooooo freaking upset with these tails! I'll post a few pics later...I may have "overdone" the tails...I have a tendency to do that when working with marabou.

Sheesh don't get so worked up. I'm sure mine will be the worst ones cause i'm the noob. Yours will be amazing i'm sure.

Got a nice set from BB today. Little red poppers... these look RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! My #1 go-to popper color.

P.S. I'm on the mend, but am drained from 4 days of fever. : /