Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

10 Minute Bass Popper

Thanks, Paul! Loved fishing the old red/white Heddon Chuggers growing up. Great shad pattern. I screwed up the paint job on this one, but it IS a ten minute tie. She'll fish just fine. I liked the sparser tail on this one. Can't wait to sling her around a bit.

are you using tape to create the line between the red and white?

I did not, Paul. Freehand. Just whipped the paint on and screwed it up a bit, but this one is for me, and you know how that is....seems you're never as careful with your own ties as you are with ties for other folks.

Lewey,

Chucking this one on a GL2 9 wt....a fast 8 with a 5 ft leader will chuck it nicely as well. A breeze with a 10...like casting a mayfly.

FB,

Sharpies color it so so....paint covers much easier.

Nice classic look :headbang: red and white is always a winner. For the really big flies for fish with teeth try this leader, 12 inches 30lb mono tied to 12 inches 50lb mono tied to 18inches 80lb floro (I also use 80lb mono). It's a reverse taper (small to big) and works like a charm.

Sue will, TWF. Stripers one day, then snook, then smallies and gar. Good go to pattern for any baitfish need.

Doesn't it , though, Mike. Be checking your mail box...don't mind the note...it looks like I was drunk when I wrote it...arthritis is killing me this week...too many broken hands in my day I suppose. Think you'll get some use out of what I sent.

Nah, not much of a beer drinker, Tom. I grew up in bourbon and 'shine country. Besides, I only venture up north when the chrome are running....not other reason to be there besides that! :lol:

Would love to hit some of the finer smallmouth flows in Southern Ontario. Believe it or not, out of all the times I have fished Canada, it's always been for steelhead.

Great looking pooper, BDH :thumbsup: The white and redhead has always been a favorite color combo for me for lures and flies. I've caught a ton of snook, trout, etc. on redhead Mirrolures or Bombers over the years. I've tied a few poppers in this same pattern and done great with them on the flats for all sorts of species. I have also fared pretty well with dahlbergs in this color combo. I really like how you added the grey bucktail on the tail, I'm definitely going to do that on my next one.