Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlinesfisherman

Where to buy hackle?

Hey guys!

I am looking for the best place to buy hackle to save money. I want to get the "good stuff" (capes, saddles, etc) but always flinch at the expensive price. I know that it will be used a lot but I have the hardest time buying it. I have white grizzly and olive saddles but would like to extend my collection - slowly but surely. Does anyone have any "go to" places for buying quality feathers for an unbeatable price? Thanks so much and happy tying!

try collins hackle farm or conranch hackles

the hebert miner line from whiting farms is affordable

google em up

quality hackle = your gonna pay for them

cheap hackle = you get what you pay for

Agree with Flytire. The best stuff is expensive. Occassionally you might find some on sale if a shop goes out of business, but you will pay a premium for the best quality hackle.

Plenty of second tier quality hackle producers out there is price is the most important factor. I would add to Flytire's recommendation of Collins (never liked Conranch), Keough and Spencer hackle, both of which are pretty good hackle for the price.

Look through your local fly shop, some times you find a good deal. Once, i got a good quality cape for 20 bucks which isnt too bad considering some go for 90.

There's some Collin's tyer's grade cape's on Ebay right now.Also check out www.whitewaterflies.com.They have over 200 capes and saddles listed on their site with some good prices.

Whitings has an introductory pack that comes with 4 1/2 saddles or 4 1/2 capes. I think that you can pick them up for $45 or $60. That is a decent way to build up your supply or extend your collection

Go to www.conranch.com Denny Conrad of Conranch Hackle can set you up with whatever you need. No middleman to deal with.

Fatman

there's no free ride when it comes to good hackle. The only way to get the good stuff for cheap is to fall into some kind of deal where someone died and the family is getting rid of the stuff. Good hackle SEEMS expensive but compared to just a few years ago, it's incredible. Ray Bergman would sh*t if he could see a Whiting neck.

Try and find Keough #1 dry saddles, I bought 2 of them at the 2010 Fly fishing Show. Paid $22 ea for them and found there quailty better then expected. Very pleased with. I'm saving my money for 2011 fly fishung shiw here in Denver to snag up a few more.

carlp

I've had some luck at fly fishing shows. There are some vendors selling nothing but hackle and if you take the time to dig through what they've got you can find some decent stuff at good prices. I've also bought some of the half necks and they're OK.

Tom